Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 - Problems with virtual memory

• Please log in to reply

maiduguri

maiduguri

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My Dell Inspiron N5010 laptop runs Windows 7, and I use McAfee total protection. Although McAfee was telling me that my system is secure and no action is required, I was unable to to updates of McAfee software. After contacting their support and they taking control of my laptop they informed me that errors/bad sectors were on my H/Drive, and I should contact the manufacturer. I ran a dell scan and when checking Configuration Diagnostic Operating System, it reported that the Opimize the virtual memory file check had failed. This was the only failure. How do I repair this problem?

Any help will be much appreciated

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

After contacting their support and they taking control of my laptop they informed me that errors/bad sectors were on my H/Drive

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

maiduguri

maiduguri

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

Have been away for 24 hours, so have only just seen your helpful reply. Many thanks for that. I will now try what suggested, and will only add to this post if the problem remains.

Once again, thank you.

Maiduguri

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and thank you for updating.
Can you give some info on your system please.
Specifically i am looking for how much total ram memory you have installed.
Virtual memory notices normally indicate low total memory but it's not the sole cause of the error message.

maiduguri

maiduguri

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi rShaffer61

Sorry for delay but I have spent the last two days online with Dell, support running and re-running scans on my hard drive, and on the system in general. Most of these scans took up to 5 hours.

Anyway, the good news is that Dell said that there was nothing wrong with my laptop, although they did install the latest BIOS. Upon going back to McAfee support and spending several more hours with them, they finally managed to reinstall their 'Total Protection' software. Upon me asking what the problem was, and why they told me that I had errors/bad sectors on my hard drive, when in Fact Dell said nothing was wrong, McAfee said it must have been a problem with an earlier version of their software which was still on my machine !!!. Anyway, after spending best part of three days sitting in front of my laptop I am pleased to say all is now well.

Thanks for your interest.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry for the late response as I have been extremely busy and the terrible weather we have been having here for the past two weeks.
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :yes: :unsure:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible