Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shutting down and restarting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Reddoug

Reddoug

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi All

My computer has been starting slowly for the last few weeks. I use ATF and TFC cleaner and defragged my hard drive. I use MS security essentials and Malware Bytes with no problems found. Today I ran SFC /SCANNOW and it said it needed to install dll files from XP disk, so I did that. Now the computer will start up and shut down every few minutes. It will do this over and over. I tried system restore and it could not restore to an earlier time. I am now running in safe mode. I did up the ram from two 512mbs to two 2gbs several months ago. Have event codes; 1003, 7020, 7034.
Any ideas?
XP Pro, Intel D930 3ghz on Intel DX975 motherboard, 4gb of ram.

Thanks, Doug

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If it's overheating, it'll shutdown by itself to keep from starting a fire.

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi
It is not over heating. Does not shutdown and restart in safemode. No BSOD. Did not start shutting down untill I ran SFC /SCANNOW.

Thanks, Doug

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
never gave you any problems until after running sfc /scan now....never heard of that one... :D
try chkdsk /r...
nojoy
I would try sfc /scan now again...
nojoy
try the repair on xp...

for the how to repair your operating system guides...
go here...

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
HI

I will give them a try and let you know what happens.

Thanks, Doug

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi

I started noticing errors for ctfmon.exe, I Tunes and Nero just before computer would shut down. I tried disabling them in msconfig so they would not start but computer still would shutdown. I removed I Tunes and Quicktime. Had trouble trying to removing Nero so I downloaded Revo uninstaller. I was not sure about unused files so I did not remove them. (did that on time and crashed computer)Computer has not shutdown for an hour. Hopefully that took care of the problem. I will see what happens and let you know if it fixed my problem.

Thanks, Doug

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we will be here... :D

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi

Ran good for most of the day and started acting up again. I user Revo uninstaller and let it remove everything it ask to remove to get rid of the programs.(anything with Nero and Apple Quicktime) One question I have is there are a lot of old program entries in regedit from older programs that I have removed. I no people talk bad about registry cleaners but would they remove them? Old AVG, AOL... entries and the like. Tried to run SFC /SCANNOW and noe get error code 0x000006ba. When I ran SFC /SCANNOW before and use XP disk, it has SP2, could that have cause my problem? This computer has no problems in safe mode but I will shut down and restart around 30 seconds in normal mode.

Thanks again, Doug

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what xp SP is installed...
go here and download Everest Home Edition 1.51...launch it and click on the + beside motherboard...click on chipset...get a screenshot and post it
for me...

for heat and voltage...
click on the + beside computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it for me...

NOTE for those of you that have other newer versions of EVEREST HOME ...I highly recommend you get version 1.51
it has a software section that include what versions of the software you have installed and all the updates/patches you have installed that the newer versions of Everest do not have...

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi
Not able to paste screen shots in safe mode. I have service pack 3 installed, sensor temp is 30C of the hard drive. When I clicked on chipset, it did not show anything. I tried using Speecy would show dll errors. I attached a compressed folder with screen shots. That was the only way I could get them to you.

Thanks for your help. Doug

Attached Files

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
THAT IS A REALLY CHEAP MOTHERBOARD...NO SENSORS AT ALL...
and I can't read the speecy report...if you can use everest to find out the mobo name and model #...just type it in your reply...
same for the video card

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi

MB is an Intel D975XBX with a 975 chipset top of the line 5 yrs ago when I built this computer. Has the latest BIOS installed. Things are not showing up right since my problems have started. Speecy used to show all the infromation. Now it is showing dll problems. Were you able to see that in the screen prints? I would just clean off and reload but there is one program that I need to use, Transcender and I have had it for over a year and would not be able to reinstall it without buying it again. It has been close to four years sicne I have cleaned it off and reloaded it. It has been running ok untill it started to boot up a little slow. I should have left it alone. Water under the bridge now. Just trying to find away repair my problem. Never get the BSOD, just shuts down and restarts but not in safe mode.

Thanks, Doug

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...that was a great mobo...and it should show everything we need to see
you want to look for leaking or bulging capacitors make sure you unplug from the wall first and protect against ESD
I'm afraid the mobo is on its last legs...
if you had a different video card laying around you could try it

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi

My question is, if it was a problem with the motherboard, why wouldn't have the same problem in safe mode? I understand that safe mode only loads a minimal set of drivers, but wouldn't it still shutdown and restart if it was a motherboard problem? I have thought about building a new computer but this one does what I need it to do, I am not a gamer and do not need a super computer. I could use a faster Internet connection though but I am locked into DSL.

Thanks for your help, Doug

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
typically safe mode loads as few executable modules as possible and usually disables devices, except for the minimum necessary to display information and accept input...
you could try replacing the mobo battery and reflashing the bios...
maybe reinstall the chipset driver but if that fails like I suspect then
what else could explain that none of the tools are getting or reporting any info that the mobo sensors are supposed to provide