Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Time Registry Scan on New Laptop

• Please log in to reply

krpa-d-em

krpa-d-em

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
We recently purchased a new Lenovo T-410 ThinkPad Laptop with Windows 7 (64 bit). Previously on other PC's, I have used CCleaner to delete unwanted files and also to clean my Registry. My question is, if I run a normal Registry scan on my new laptop for the very first time, is their a risk of deleting applications that I have not opened yet, or is there a risk of deleting files in the Registry that I may need later on? Is there a risk of deleting start-up (.exe) files that I have not used that I would later need? Please advise the best way to keep my Registry clean on a Windows 7 64 bit laptop. Thank you very much.

Edited by krpa-d-em, 22 April 2011 - 11:15 AM.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi krpa-d-em! :D

Ccleaner is a multi use tool, but because Ccleaner includes a registry cleaner, as you well know, I personally would advise not to use this or any registry cleaner as there have been reports of them clearing out needed registry entries and messing up PCs. In addition, what they do clean up is so small that little or no advantages are noticed.

The registry does not need "cleaning" and attempting to do so can land you in trouble now and in the future. Stay away from all such "registry cleaners" or "optimizers".

The following quote is from Wikipedia-Registry cleaner

Most notably, critics say there is no reliable way for a third party program to know whether any particular key is invalid, redundant or neither. Poorly designed registry cleaners may not know for sure whether a key is still being used by Windows or what detrimental effects removing it may have. This has led to examples of registry cleaners causing loss of functionality and/or system instability.

The problem is further clouded by the fact that malware and scareware are often associated with utilities of this type.

I recommend ATF and TFC. Both are very safe to use. See this link for more info from our very own rshaffer61 on how to install and use those programs.

Is there a risk of deleting start-up (.exe) files that I have not used that I would later need?

Yes! There is a strong possibility that any .exe could be removed as mentioned in quote above from Wikipedia. That is the main reason the professionals never recommend registry cleaners.

:D