Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't open any programs after malware removal

• Please log in to reply

Theos

Theos

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

After I've removed an unknown malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti Malware I noticed I can NOT open ANY program…instead I’m getting a pop-up message

“Choose the program you want to use to open this file”

I’m using 7, 64 bytes system and the issue is limited to only one user, the one I use for usual Internet navigation. I could simply delete the faulty user but I like the settings I have for and I would rather not do it.

The administrator user is not affected.

Can you help me out please?

Thanks

Edited by Theos, 30 April 2011 - 11:31 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Try the "Let me Fix it myself" section of:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505

Ron

Theos

Theos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for your help...After some additional research finally I have solved the issue!

Here is how:

For Windows 7 Users:

1. Have a google search for the file Default_EXE.reg. Sorry I don't have a hyperlink...You may find a .zip file or directly .reg file

2. Save the file to your desktop, unzip it if necessary, then extract (drag and drop) the .reg file to the desktop.

3. Right click on the Default_EXE.reg file and click on Merge.

4. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK.

5. Restart.

Good luck!