Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking Issues

• Please log in to reply

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hi there,

So here's the situation. I've been at college, but I'm home for the summer. I just set up my PC at home today, and it won't connect. Running an ipconfig command results in displaying information for a "Link-local IPv6 Address," "Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address," and "Subnet Mask," while the "Default Gateway" and "Connection-specific DNS Suffix" fields remain blank.
This is a wired connection. If I unplug the cable from my PC and plug it into a different one, the other PC is able to connect with no problems. It might be worth mentioning that this connection is running through a switch, then to the router/modem, but since other computers are able to connect, it would seem the network is configured just fine - only my PC has any problems whatsoever.
When I go to the DHCP configuration on my router, my PC does not show up, indicating that the router doesn't "see" my computer.
It also might be noteworthy that since I've been at school, we've switched ISPs, so my PC has no "recollection" of ever connecting to this specific router. It might be trying to use old configurations from connecting to my university network, or the old router that I had at home before changing ISPs.

In the "Network and Sharing Center," the diagram usually shows my PC connected to an "Unidentified Network," and indicates that it is NOT connected to the Internet.

Once, while I was troubleshooting, I plugged it in directly to the router (instead of through the switch), and then I actually got an internet connection. Thinking the problem was fixed, I then tried to plug it back into the switch, but again this resulted in not getting any connection. I have not been able to reproduce this - subsequent attempts to connect directly to the router, with or without the switch, have all been unsuccessful - the successful connection appears to have just been a one-time fluke.

Thank you for your time and any help you can provide :)

Edited by W-Unit, 18 May 2011 - 05:48 PM.

Advertisements

W-Unit

W-Unit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Just an update...
By running an ipconfig /renew command, I can sometimes acquire an address, but only momentarily. If I time it right, I can often load PART of ONE webpage (usually just the text; no images or anything) during the time the PC stays connected, then it goes back to dropping its connection.
In the event viewer, I found a maybe-relevant error. I'll copy+paste it here:

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with address 0x00248C8FDBF2. The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Only one such entry appears, despite numerous restarts, disabling/re-enabling of the adapter, etc, and the entry only just appeared today (not when the problem first occurred), so I am not sure whether it is relevant.
Also, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the NIC doesn't work either.
I used HyperCam to record a video of what's going on, since it's getting kinda tough to explain, but since the max upload size is only 1MB, I can't attach it. If you want you can PM me with your e-mail address or something and I will send you the video.

Perhaps this is a hardware issue? Just FYI, my PC has two ethernet ports, and both of them display the same behavior.

Thanks again :)

--EDIT--
RARELY, I actually *can* get it to stay connected for a significant length of time; i.e. long enough to browse a few web pages. It appears to be totally random, upon execution of an ipconfig /renew command, whether: 1) nothing will happen, 2) I will connect, but only for a second or two, 3) I will connect for up to a minute or so

Edited by W-Unit, 21 May 2011 - 11:01 AM.