Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I think my laptop was hacked into and now infected

• Please log in to reply

shelby2098

shelby2098

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I clicked on what I thought was a free gaming site, which it wasnt as soon as I opened the webpage my firewall, av & antispyware programs were disabled and my computer locked up. I tried to get off site asap but everything happened quickly like c-prompt opened couple times by itself, restarted by itself. Once restarted I ran AV scan and spyware scans but nothing came up the scans results clean. IE9 stopped working so I opened google chrome v slow surfing then got a warning about high traffic or something. Tried to repair explorer uninstall and reload. Ran scans in safe mode but no infection detected only 2 pages of locked files unable to scan. Didnt know what to do other than system restore and only gave me 1 option restore back 1 week ago. IE9 works fine now and computer is faster but Im sure there are some virus or something as scans still reveal loads of locked files that cant be scanned. I have changed my AV program and now hav paid one but has not recognised any viruses. Antispyware Ashampoo did detect 1 infected file which was unable to remove then could not use Ashampoo anymore as it locked up, disabled and no longer opens or works, so uninstall it and have malwarebytes but doesnt find any infections. I have downloaded hijackthis but am only a basic computer user and dont know what results mean. I am thinking of completely wiping my harddrive back to factory settings. Thank you for taking the time to read all this.

Advertisements