Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus Taking My Comp

• Please log in to reply

Zipcouda

Zipcouda

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay, so I'm new here. Hoping this is where I'm supposed to be posting this information for my problem. Please forgive any spelling mistakes, or grammar errors I have -_-.

Anyway to start off with Ive been having this problem for a few months now, if not nearly a year. I happened to of downloaded a virus accidentally that seems to of taken over my computer. A lot of times when I restart my computer I get a blue screen, sometimes it's say a type of error like 0x000000. something something, then when I restart again, sometimes I get a blue screen with the name of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. My computer restarts multiple times before allowing me to finally get on and start programs in which I wish to start.

My greatest issue at the moment is that I cannot install or update my DirectX, I assume I have one since I can play a good deal of games but some that require DirectX 9 I am unable to play because I cannot install it. The error pops up (A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted. Please verify the Cryptographic Services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid) and then when I try to do a typical just plane hardware install (Not that off a game, but the download from Microsoft) I can do it while playing a game which then it just tells me that the installation failed or if I just have it on the screen and the blue screen pops up with the IRQL stuff.

Another issue, is if I disable stuff in the run program (msconfig) I can disable most of the running programs and have it starting fine from what I remember, haven't done it recently because I want to use the internet and talk to people online, so I might just have to suck it up and close from each program trying to find the problem. Though last time I did that, it seems that the virus doesn't always close right away on a selected program, for example if I enable three and the virus is on one it could happen that it just doesn't activate making me assume it wasn't those three though it still could be... very confusing for me.

Another large issue, is when I try to reinstall windows. It seems the virus has messed with my windows quite a bit, in which case I cannot go into my windows recovery and use the disk I have, saying that the disk in the drive is the incorrect CD and to please insert the correct windows CD, which is very frustrating when that could fix mostly everything if not everything. Also on this system stuff, now when I go to system restore to an earlier date I get this message at the top saying (System Restore does not appear to be functioning correctly on this system. A volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the application event log for more information 0.80042302)

I do have some virus protections that I installed after the virus was on it, say Kaspersky, Spybot search and destroy, AVG (which acted like a virus). The Spybot works fine but doesn't seem to notice the running virus going on because the problem is still going on and it cant seem to detect it. Ive tried installing MACafee which tells me it cannot install for whatever reason.

In a nut shell, I'm in a pretty bad spot. For the most part, I cant restart my windows because my windows CD drive cannot read my windows CD, I cannot restore to an earlier time because the data for the system restore is changed or corrupted. My virus protections are all fighting against each other, and if I try to remove them within the control panel it tells me I do not have access. I have about 20 svchost's running in my task manager which makes me assume that's the virus. Its to the point where I feel I am just out of luck and do nothing about it, though my dad said there is always something that can be done which is why I'm here. I'm asking anyone and everyone to please help me with this problem, if there are any ideas or theory's, ways to fix my CD drive problem so I can use my windows disk to completely restart (Which I really want to have happen). Ive tried hard to delete things, but most of the time it tells me (Access denied) to something I wish to delete.

Please if anyone can help me find an answer I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi zipcouda,

Welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

I am so sorry that your topic was overlooked. Allow me to guide you in the right direction if you still need help?

Please read thoroughly and follow the instructions in our Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide then start a new thread in our Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal Forum.

Again, I do apologize for this over sight.

Donna

geek2stay

geek2stay

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, this is a tough one but I'll give it a shot...

First, go to another computer and download a Linux live .iso - My current favorite is Linux Mint 9 main edition... use the .iso to create either a boot-able CD or boot-able USB flash drive. Stick the boot-able medium into your infected computer. Boot the medium and navigate to the HD in the computer... copy all your data off to another USB device (ext HD or UFD). Once the data recovery is complete, unmount the external USB device and disconnect it... Once you data is safe, it is up to you... If your data doesn't really require Windoze, start the partition editor and wipe the whole drive. Then go to the desktop and click the install button... answer a few questions and select use whole HD to install and let the install routine do its thing... In about an hour your new OS will be installed, updated, and running smoothly... Once it is, you can wave goodbye to all the various pieces of security software that you mentioned in your post...

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hi geek2stay: :)

With due apologies you aren't authorized to give any advice, only staff members approved for malware removal are allowed to offer malware removal advice. However, you too could help once you are trained. If you are interested then kindly read and follow Would you like to learn to fight malware? Join Geek U

@Zipcouda: :unsure:

Please follow DonnaB's advise in Post #2