Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uniblu registry booster

• Please log in to reply

newcomer21

newcomer21

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I see where you advertise the uniblu registry booster. Is it worth the money to purchase?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
When not logged in, and viewing advertisements, you'll notice a disclaimer at the bottom of every page:

Advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service...

As a general rule, we recommend against registry cleaners. The risk -vs- reward benefit of registry cleaners is usually not worth the cost (even when free). The potential gains from a registry cleaner are small, while system instability issues are common. I experienced similar results while testing a free review copy Registry Booster a couple of years ago. I noticed some small performance gains, but later removed the changes it made and uninstalled it after noticing system instability issues.

If you want better performance, you're probably better off adding more RAM or saving for an SSD. Your profile shows Windows XP. 512MB is the optimal amount of RAM.

newcomer21

newcomer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
thanks for the info. any suggestions on possible errors that I may have with the registry and getting them corrected.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Start a topic in the Windows XP forum. However, if you are using a number provided by Registry Booster, understand it's likely inflated to entice you to purchase. Actual registry errors are rare.

newcomer21

newcomer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
thanks. is there a good way to know if you have errors?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Usually your system will let you know. For example a message at startup about missing DLLs, or errors logged in the event viewer.

If you don't have a specific problem you're trying to solve, doubtful you have any registry errors.

newcomer21

newcomer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Sounds good. I think I will leave well enough alone. Thanks for the help and I really enjoy your site.

Thunder7102

Thunder7102

GeekU Freshman

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
If you do plan on using Registry Cleaners, I generally would go with CCleaner. It is free and cleans more than just the registry. I find it rather helpful as it also cleans out internet caches for multiple browsers.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable. We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there. Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Link to "Why not to use a Registry cleaner"

http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Thanks, 123Runner. :)

Thunder7102, as 123Runner said,we don't advocate the use of any type of registry cleaner. We recommend the use of TFC for cleaning temp files,as it doesn't touch any areas of the registry, but will clean temp file locations and help improve the performance of your PC more safely than any registry cleaner.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi
Do you also advocate ATF Cleaner on XP and 2000 systems for regular (daily) usage.
Although it was not designed for later systems, I know of a few who still use it and say it will work.

Thank You -

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes we do use ATF on the older systems but I myself find that I recommend TFC more then ATF. I have found TFC does a better job even on the older systems. You will fond a few that TFC doesn't work on with the older systems so it's good to have both in your arsenal just in case.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Uniblu registry booster :)
UniBlowup :unsure:
I just spent a day trying to fully remove this garbage, and I think it caused heaps of drama to the system it was on.
An XP SP3 PRO that may just be fully reinstalled, and live in my garage as a toy now.