Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer suddenly not working like it use to?

• Please log in to reply

ooncha

ooncha

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was working the other night and suddenly I got the blue screen error and then my computer restarted. I couldn't find the error in the problem reports so not idea what made the blue screen popup. Also afterwards Firefox has started to hang constantly and I have to end process because it was just hang forever. In safe mode it's not as bad but it happens. I tried uninstalling it and reverting back to older versions (was 3.6.18 and now 3.6.16). My computer also seems to be constantly busy after opening firefox and it hanging so everything starts to be slow or hangs for a over a couple minutes. I checked my task manager and see nothing taking up CPU not even firefox as it just hangs. Not really sure whats going on. I would usually do a system restore point before the incident but for some reason there are no restore points to revert back to.

If anyone can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

I'm not a blue screen error expert but I will try my best in order to get this sorted for you. I do know an easy way out but I prefer not to do that unless I have to. Turn the computer on and keep pressing F8 until you see the safemode options. Select Disable automatic restart on system failure and hit enter. Your computer will continue to load Windows and the blue screen should appear. Look at the bottom and you will see a STOP error code. Please write this down and reply back with the error code. You could also try the last known good configuration option but lets try the first suggestion first. Also when was the last time you had a malware check as I would like to open that option if needed. I can send you to the correct forum for this if needed.

Regards

ooncha

ooncha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've scanned my computer 4 days ago without any malware, viruses or anything of that sort but I'm in the middle of scanning again and so far nothing. The blue screened I mentioned hasn't come up again so I'm unsure if it'll come up. Would it be OK to post what my Event Viewer says?

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

The event viewer screenshot I would need detailed information however I will tell you what I need. If you goto the event viewer for me and expand windows logs and goto applications and look for any alerts for me and double click these it will give you information about any crashes and so on which is what I require. Only go back to the date where the problem started. Have you also tried a system restore back to the day before the problem happened? if not goto

start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

I would also like you to get a detailed malware scan just to be sure incase the application has missed anything. Please read the following article here and then post your problem here.

So do these in the following of

• Malware check
  • System restore
  • Event Viewer

I will be more than happy to assist after all these have been completed incase you are still having issues. If you are then it maybe a case of having to format your computer but I will cross that when I come to it.

Thanks

ooncha

ooncha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I already mentioned why I didn't do system restore point in my first post. For some reason its not making its normal daily restore point and the manual one I made yesterday is gone. Strange.

My scanner confirmed that there are no threats so its not malware. I decided to install the latest version of Firefox, 5.0, and it actually is working better. However it still hangs when I use it but not as often and it only takes a minute so I don't have to open up task manager to close it. Things still work slowly when Firefox is open. I tried to right click its shortcut and took like 2 minutes. But when its closed right clicked took 2 seconds. Although my computer still hangs alittle when I'm doing something which never happened before when I'm not using alot of programs.

I've uploaded the info you asked me to get http://i53.tinypic.com/2ng4tb8.jpg. I don't know how to read the event logs so I hope this is OK.

Edited by ooncha, 27 June 2011 - 12:55 AM.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

My scanner confirmed that there are no threats so its not malware.

Hello the screenshot is to small for me to read so I am unable to see whats what. Also may I ask what scanner you have used as malware can be clever and bypass quite alot so before I proceed I would like to have a deep scan check done by our experts.

When the malware team have checked this over and nothing is installed in terms of malware then we will look into a repair installation.

Thanks