Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Load/Connection Issues.

• Please log in to reply

Meloche

Meloche

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Im having issues with my PC, it was running fine and all of a sudden, everything is slow, especially connecting to the internet, I cant even load my MMO's, but my connection says its good? Local and Internet. My ISP is Rogers.com, I have not contacted them, will if its the last resort...

I've tried, disk clean up, defrag, window updates are all recent. I've tried ARO 2011 cuz I didnt know what else to do and that hasnt helped either...

If you could maybe have a look at my PC, I would be so grateful. Oh and my wifs laptop which is connect to my PC via router is also experiencing slow internet/load. So Im guessing its something on my PC or the ISP...

Thank I will def donate if we can fix the problem and even if we dont, I know you guys work hard at this.

Thanks
Stephane

Thanks in advance for anything you can do!

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 July 2011 - 09:11 AM.
Removed introductions link and copied over actual issue description.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

My ISP is Rogers.com, I have not contacted them, will if its the last resort...

Oh and my wifs laptop which is connect to my PC via router is also experiencing slow internet/load. So Im guessing its something on my PC or the ISP...

I would say since both systems are experiencing the same symptoms that you contact your ISP and have them run not only a speed test but also a line noise test from their office and also at your residence. What doesn't show at their office may very well show at your place.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You should certainly follow the advice of rshaffer61.
While you are waiting for the arrangement and results of those tests, lets have a look at some details of your computer.

Please deal only with yours at this time.
Do this please.
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Meloche

Meloche

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah sorry for not getting back sooner, my home PC wasnt connecting at all anymore so I couldnt get back to you guys or download any programs you were referring to. I have called my ISP and they ran some tests and there were problems with the modem (It hasnt been changed since Im with them, 8 years) I dont recall exactly what she did but she said she sent some messages to my modem and out of 50 about 29 were recieved. They are sending someone over tomorrow to check it out.

Thanks alot for your help, I will post back when I get the results of the tech tomorrow to close out this thread.

Edited by Meloche, 15 July 2011 - 06:51 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Aha sounds like a packet loss issue then. As I suspected when both systems are having the same issue then the fault has to lay with either the modem, router or ISP.
Please let us know what they do and if it resolved the issue. It sounds like they need to replace the modem to correct the issue. :)

Meloche

Meloche

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Problem seems to be solved, it was the modem, was broken. Thx for your help fellas, Im happy it wasnt on my end, brand new Alienware man, I would have been pissed!

Just for fun I ran the tests that MacBoatMaster recommended. See link below. Let me know if I can improve or remove anything?

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24463353

Edited by Meloche, 16 July 2011 - 07:12 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The only issue is possibly updating your HD audio driver.
If your sound is built onboard then visit the motherboard manufacturer site to see if they have a updated driver.
Since system is alienware a good starting point would be with them.