Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cleaned dust out of computer fans, now nothing to my monitor keyboard

• Please log in to reply

Daniel Park

Daniel Park

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Both my hard drives look the same, like the second picture. I dont think there is a way to add a secondary drive without a different adapter or connector.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The bottom pic is SATA and is the newer type of connection.
Can you get a pic of the connection on the motherboard of the system you are attempting to connect to?
Save the pic as a jpeg format and attach it to your next post. If not can you get the make and model number of the motherboard and then I can find the specs for you.

Daniel Park

Daniel Park

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
yeah took pics uploading, one sec :)

Daniel Park

Daniel Park

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
IMG_0272.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that one verifies the hd in the desktop system is SATA. Now I need one where that connects to the motherboard so I can see the amount of connectors there really are. Good job so far. :)

Daniel Park

Daniel Park

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
there so many wires in my pc because of my power supply. What did you need?

Daniel Park

Daniel Park

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
is there any thing i could try? like starting it with one stick of ram,? or any trick that may work?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your hd will not work because it is setup for your system so the system will not boot with it as the main drive.
What I need is if you look at your pic you see the Red cable on the back of the drive?
Follow that down to where it connects to the motherboard. There should be other connections right next to that where other SATA devices can connect to. I need to know if there are some there with nothing connected to them. Then we need to get another red cable to connect your hd as a second hard drive in the system. This would allow you to see if the drive is mechanically working and all your data is safe on it. Once that is determined then we can move forward in replacing the motherboard as at this time I would believe it is faulty if the hd is found to be working..

Daniel Park

Daniel Park

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you! the hard drive is perfectly fine. I think the problem is the motherboard. I will go either get a motherboard or find something. THANK YOu!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you tell me if your system is a custom built or a name brand?
I can then try to locate a exact model for you or something that will accept your cpu and memory so you won't have to replace all of it at the same time.

Advertisements