Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unbootable computer

• Please log in to reply

Bismillah

Bismillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
This is my specs i found

P8700(2.53GHz), 2GB RAM, 160GB 5400rpm HD, 14.1in 1280x800 LCD, Intel 4500MHD, CDRW/DVD, Intel 802.11agn wireless, WWAN upgradeable, Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, Ultranav, Secure chip, Fingerprint reader, 6c Li-Ion, WinXP Pro

although its vista not xp

Advertisements

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hello

I have your specs :)

To do an Avast Repair:
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus > Remove.
Then choose Repair function in the pop-up window (Repair). Reboot.

Next:

STARTUP DISABLE

To try and ease the startup try this

Download Startup Control Panel here
Instal and you will find a startup icon in the control panel - run this
  • In the HKLM tab, you may disable (be careful --> "disable") all the entries except your security software
  • In the HKCU tab, you may disable all entries.
  • In the StartUp tab, you may disable all entries.
Note : if you notice that some programs no longer run, you can enable them again by running Startup Control Panel, selecting the entry and choosing Run Now.
If you are in doubt with something, don't hesitate to ask :unsure:

TEMPORARY FILES CLEANER - DISK DEFRAGMENTER

Download TFC to your desktop
  • Open the file and close any other windows.
  • It will close all programs itself when run, make sure to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. The program should not take long to finish its job
  • Once its finished it should reboot your machine, if not, do this yourself to ensure a complete clean

THEN

Download Flush Flash from Here and follow the easy to use instructions on the same page

NEXT

Download and run Puran Disc Defragmenter

Next:

Open device manager. Instructions here
Check if any devices have any strange indication on them like a yellow question or exclamation mark, like this
Posted Image
If there are any, tell me which devices

Next:

You can also buy some more memory. If you do not want to buy, you can just try to limit the amount of programs that are open at the same time

After these, tell me how's your computer performance

Bismillah

Bismillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
Something called 'CatchMe' has a yellow exclamation mark

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
That's OK, anything else?

Bismillah

Bismillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
Its defragmenting atm on 1% not sure how long itll take
Nothing else showing up as yellow

How can i hide file extensions?

Edited by nortan360, 20 August 2011 - 07:16 AM.

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
We'll do that at the clean up :)

Bismillah

Bismillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
Ive done the tasks im not sure if my physical memory has increased could you take a list at my programs and see which ones are unnecesary?

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Are you talking about startup programs? If yes, open OTL, click quick scan and post the log here

Bismillah

Bismillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
No i mean actual programs that are installed on my computer but i will post the otl log aswell

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
I think you have misunderstood what I told you. Installed programs occupy Hard Drive space, which you have plenty, no problem here.
The problem is that you have low Memory / RAM, that's where all active programs are stored. Your RAM is almost 2 GB and it seems that very little free memory remain when you're using the computer, so it's making it slower.
Uninstalling Programs will not make a difference in memory, just in Hard Drive space which isn't needed.

Advertisements

Bismillah

Bismillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
Oh i got confused D:

OTL still keeps freezing

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
I don't need another log as far as you don't need help disabling startup programs :)

Congratulations! Your logs are clean! :unsure: Now that you are clean, please follow these precautions in order to keep safe:

Over the course of the fix you've used a variety of special tools to help with the cleaning process - none of these are of any use to you now that you're clean, and it's best not to have them hanging around on your computer.

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [resethosts]
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [EMPTYFLASH]
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
    [Reboot]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL for the last time and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programs we have used plus itself.

Next:

Uninstall ComboFix from your computer:
  • Click on Start > Run
  • Type Combofix /Uninstall in the run box and click Ok. Note the space between the x and the /u, it needs to be there.
    Posted Image

Next:

Note: If you are using Firefox I would suggest the use of these add-ons:
  • NoScript - for blocking ads and other potential website attacks.
  • McAfee SiteAdvisor - this tells you whether the sites you are about to visit are safe or not. A must if you do a lot of Googling.

Next:

Automatic Updates for Windows
  • Click Start.
  • Select Settings and then Control Panel.
  • Select Automatic Updates.
  • Click Automatic (recommended)
  • Choose a day and a time when you know the computer will be on and connected to the internet.
  • Click Apply then OK.

Next:

Additional security programs - For additional security, the use of these tools is important:
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. - Update the free version and scan with it often. It is an excellent scanning tool to have on your side.
  • The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer. This little program packs a powerful punch as it block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers. For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial

Next:

Upgrading Java:
  • Go here and click Do I have Java
  • It will check your current version and then offer to update to the latest version, if there are any.

Next:

Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Next:

Keep a backup of your important files to prevent future data loss.

Happy safe computing !! :yes:

Bismillah

Bismillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
i was wanting to know how can i free up some physical memory?

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
You keep memory as free as possible, you can (if you haven't already) follow the startup disable step at post #62.
Furthermore, you can try to limit the programs that are opened at the same time to only the essential ones.

Bismillah

Bismillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
I appreciate all your help :)
Thankyou!