Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bluescreen Problems

• Please log in to reply

matharu

matharu

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Dear Geeks!

I have been having problems with bluescreens for some time now and am not having any luck getting them sorted! I have downloaded bluescreenview and that seems to point the finger for many of them at hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe, among other things. Doing searches on these I have seen many advised to use memtest, which I have done (sticks together and separately, and in different RAM slots) with no joy :)

I have also had problems start more recently where my pc will just switch off, no crash file given and nothing in the event log so I don't really know where to go with those :s

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated, as I cannot upload zip files and skydrive is down for now I will post a report from bluescreenview. I don't know if that is any good, but I will put the proper dmp files on skydrive and put a link up when I can.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would take a look at this website to see if it will fix your problem. There is no hal.dll in vista or win 7.

http://pcsupport.abo...ows-7-vista.htm

SRX660

matharu

matharu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Brilliant, thank you very much for the quick reply! I will try that later when I get back home.

As skydrive is back up now, here is the link for the dmp files:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=d6aa00de3597a820&resid=D6AA00DE3597A820!120

Edited by matharu, 24 August 2011 - 01:51 AM.

matharu

matharu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok I have followed the instructions on that link you gave me and have not had any more bluescreens yet! *touch wood* however I am still getting annoying crashes where the pc just freezes, screen doesnt power off, it all just goes unresponsive. Is there any way to see whats going on when this happens?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
When you say the computer is unresponsive, is the mouse still able to move? I ask this because if the mouse also freezes it may mean a running program is using up all your memory leaving everything at a standstill until the coding is finished being read.

This could be caused by bad registry entrys, bad drivers for a program that may be conflicting with your computers hardware, or even a virus or trojan of some sort that is trying to access the internet to send data to another computer.

If you can move the mouse.
You can use Task Manager to display a list of the programs that are currently running on your computer. If a program seems frozen, or does not appear to be responding, use Task Manager to view the status of the program.

1. Open Task Manager by right-clicking the taskbar and then clicking Task Manager.
2. Click the Applications tab to see a list of all the programs that are currently running on your computer and each program's status (either Running or Not Responding).
3. If a program is not responding and you want to close the program, click the program, and then click End Task. Any unsaved changes made using the program will be lost.

You can also open Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.

Identify the process associated with a program

The programs that you run on your computer have processes associated with them that start the program. If a program stops responding, knowing which process is associated with the program can help you troubleshoot problems. For example, if a program isn't responding, once you know which process the program uses, you can end that process to exit the program that isn't responding.

1. Open Task Manager by right-clicking the taskbar and then clicking Task Manager.
2. Click the Applications tab, right-click the program that you want to identify the process for, and then click Go To Process. The process associated with the program is highlighted on the Processes tab.

To view more information about any process running in Task Manager, right-click the process, and then click Properties. In the Properties dialog box, you can view information about the process, including the location and size. Click the Details tab to view detailed information about the process.

Please add the processes and programs that are running the processes here so i can look further into what is causing this problem.

SRX660

matharu

matharu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
no the mouse becomes unresponsive too, I have tried leaving it for some time but it didnt start up again.

The processes I have running at the moment are:

atieclxx.exe (clicking properties does nothing)
csrss.exe (clicking properties does nothing)
dwm.exe - Location C:\Windows\System32, size 117 KB
explorer.exe - Location C:\Windows, size 2.73 MB
firefox.exe *32 - Location C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox, size 902 KB
Launcher.exe *32 - Location C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft, size 9.80 MB
msseces.exe - Location C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client, size 1.37 MB
plugin-container.exe *32 - Location C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox, size 16.4 KB
Skype.exe *32 - Location C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone, size 16.5 MB
taskhost.exe - Location C:\Windows\System32, size 67.5 KB
taskmgr.exe - Location C:\Windows\System32, size 251 KB
visicom_antiphishing.exe *32 - Location C:\ProgramData\Anti-phishing Domain Advisor, size 226 KB
vprot.exe *32 - Location C:\Program Files (x86)\GameBox, size 120 KB
winlogon.exe (clicking properties does nothing)
wuauclt.exe - Location C:\Windows\System32, size 50.0 KB

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I need to know if you are running vista or win 7.

Addressing one of the original problems where the comp just shuts off could be caused by the comp overheating.

One at a time disable each of the below in msconfig and run the computer long enough to see if it still freezes.

Launcher.exe *32
Skype.exe *32
visicom_antiphishing.exe *32
vprot.exe *32
wuauclt.exe

How to use msconfig
http://netsquirrel.c...onfig_win7.html

http://netsquirrel.c...nfig_vista.html

I am trying NOT to replace the ntoskrnl on your computer because it is an elaborate process. This error is also usually caused by something else.

http://answers.micro...41-db456e9533cf

SRX660

matharu

matharu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I am using windows 7 home professional.

Despite doing a fresh windows install yesterday, had another bluescreen today, will upload the file to my skydrive.

I have had problems with overheating before so its the first thing i tried to eliminate, I have a desktop fan blowing on the pc to cool it.

matharu

matharu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
added more dmp files to my skydrive

matharu

matharu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Launcher.exe *32
Skype.exe *32
visicom_antiphishing.exe *32
vprot.exe *32
wuauclt.exe

I have tried disabling all of these individually but it did not seem to make any difference

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you did a clean install of windows and got as blue screen within one day, i think you have a hardware problem. That same hardware problem could be causing your lockups simply because windows is looking for the hardware and can only partially find it( in the registry but slow to answer when trying to start). Have you done a chkdsk error check on your hard drive? That is the next step, and if that does not solve the problem( but says the drive is repaired or OK), and after that you start replacing hardware. What hardware you replace depends on what hardware you have. A motherboard with everything onboard may have to be replaced.

SRX660

matharu

matharu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have already run some hardware checks on RAM, GPU and hard drive. Ive run the windows chkdsk as well as seatools and a checker from samsung on the hard drive, used the windows memory diag tool and memtest for the RAM (each stick individually and in different slots) and tried swapping the GPU for a different one. If I don't have any spare hardware pieces are there are any checks I can do to test things like the motherboard, CPU, sound card and NIC?

Is there any bit of hard drive that is more likely to mess around with the master boot record? I am still getting BSODs relating to hal.dll, despite following the instructions on the link above (usually I do the system recovery after every BSOD just in case).