Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Laptop Will Not Go Into System Recovery

• Please log in to reply

SevenSlugs

SevenSlugs

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all.... I have an HP laptop with Windows 7..

The problem is whenever I've tried to do a system restore recently to wipe the drive and put laptop back to factory settings, windows gives me an error msg saying it cannot restart the system in "Windows Recovery Environment"

What can I do to allow my computer to successfully complete a system recovery??

Thanks!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
SevenSlugs.
Welcome to GeekstoGo.

Please post the exact model of HP Laptop, usually available from the plate on the base.

Why are you trying to return to factory settings please. You will if the recovery procedure does not offer a soft recovery which is basically a repair of the Windows installation, lose all your personal data and any programs that were not installed at the time of the computer being sold.

The problem is whenever I've tried to do a system restore recently

A system restore, from a restore point does not format the drive (to wipe the drive) it simply restores from a restore point, so that it returns the computer, in the main, to the condition it was in at the date of the restore point chosen.

SevenSlugs

SevenSlugs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It's a HP G50-108NR Laptop...

I realize I will lose all data...that is besides the point...I need help diagnosing why my laptop will not execute the system recovery procedure correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks..

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Restore the PC to its original condition using the f11 key if Windows 7 is not accessibleIf the PC cannot launch into Windows, it may still be possible to use the HP Recovery Manager on the hard drive to restore the computer to its original operating condition. The Recovery Manager can be launched during the startup process by following the steps below.
  • Press the Power button to start the PC, and then press the f11 key when the standard BIOS prompts are displayed on the black screen.Posted ImageNOTE:Pressing the f11 key during startup on a computer with an HP factory image will start the system recovery process even if the prompt is not displayed.
    • If the HP Recovery Manager can access the recovery partition on the hard drive, a prompt to backup the user files before beginning the recovery is displayed. Follow any on-screen instructions.
    • If the HP Recovery Manager cannot access the hard drive to fix any system errors, you will need to use the personalized recovery disc that you created to recover the hard drive to its original condition.
    • If you have not created the personalized recovery disc, or the discs are corrupted, you can order a replacement recovery disc from HP.
  • When the Recovery Manager starts, follow the step-by-step system recovery instructions shown above.
IF YOU DID NOT CREATE the Recovery Disc and this does NOT work. Then you will have to order from HP the recovery discs.
See this link for further details
http://h10025.www1.h...roduct=3808640

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
SevenSlugs

It is now some six days since I offered further guidance.
Please let us know how the issue is progressing.
If you require further help you only have to ask.
If the issue is solved please post to that effect.
Thank you