Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer freezes after sleep mode

• Please log in to reply

nadtribble

nadtribble

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hello again. Just wondering what would cause my computer not to wake up after sleep mode kicks in. Its fine after a couple of minutes or so. But if it stays in sleep mode overnight, the on light will come on but I get a black screen and nothing else happens. So I have to turn the computer off for a min or so and start it up again. Just got rid of a bunch of Malware for a different problem. So my computer is clean that way. I'm running windows 7 home premium(64 bit) SP1 on a Gateway (touchscreen) desktop -AMD Athelon™II 610e Processor 2.40 GHz with 4Gig of RAM. The computer is not even a year old so don't think there is any hardware issues. Any advice.
thanx
nadtribble

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Hi
Pleased to see that you had the issues resolved
Just got rid of a bunch of Malware for a different problem.

You may remember my very minor involement in your orginal topic.

Did the problem with sleep mode exist before the original issues, or has it arisen only since the malware infection.

When you are presented with the blank screen and have to turn off, you are of course effectively running the very real risk of data corruption.
For this reason I would start with a chkdsk and a system file check..

I presume it is set to wake from sleep mode on mouse or keyboard?
Could you please confirm those settings and indeed which you use.
If you have ALWAYS had the problem, the approach may be different, especially as it is not yet a year old system.

Please open a commmand prompt and type
powercfg -a
note space pls between powercfg and -a

Please then look at the modes that are available and the modes that are not.

This really is more relevant if you have always had this problem.

Please make a record of which are available.

Now back at the command prompt type this
powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

Note pls carefully the space after powercfg and the -devicequery and the space between that and wake AND the _between wake and armed.

Please make a record of that as well.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 September 2011 - 02:54 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
nadtribble

Could you please respond when you get chance.
We can then carry out further investigation, or if you have yourself solved the issue, please post to that efftect.
Thank you

nadtribble

nadtribble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I thought I did post a repply yesterday. After I did the upgrade for the graphics card it seems to work now. sorry for not responding