Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window.OnError: 'console' is undefined in line 1 what is this?

• Please log in to reply

gsim89

gsim89

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am a realtor. I use a program called MLS that runs off IE. This started happening about 5-6 days ago. everytime i log on i get this: Window.OnError: 'console' is undefined in line 1

I am assuming this is a javascript error. Can anyone help me out with this?

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi gsim89,

Welcome to Geeks to go!:)

Could you tell me exactly what that program does? It this an Add-on of some sort?

Have you noticed that this issue recently occurred after an update to the program or to Java? The latest update for Java is Java 6 Update 27. Java 7 is also available.

It does look like a possible Java issue and clearing out the Java cache may help resolve the issue.

Please download TFC-Temporary File Cleaner by Oldtimer

Double-click TFC.exe to run it.

Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator

TFC will close all programs when run, somake sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
  • Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
  • Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.

Do not be alarmed when the desktop disappears. It will reappear on reboot.

Once TFC is finished it should restart your computer. If it does not, please manually restart the computer yourself to ensure a complete cleaning.

Let me know if that helps or not. As a last resort we could also try to uninstall Java then re-install the latest version and I could give you special instructions for a program that will clear out all the residual files from Java to start fresh.

Donna :unsure:

Edited by DonnaB, 13 September 2011 - 07:35 PM.

jdepascale

jdepascale

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The problem is in javascript yes - the developers must have released code with debugging prompts, which is defined via the 'console' object. in IE, if the debugging console is closed, console is not a defined object, and you'll get the error you have defined. The problem cannot be 'fixed' by you, this needs to be addressed by the application developers - there should never be stray debug lines in production code. There is a workaround for you for the near term. press f12 and the debugging console for IE will pop up. This also happens to enable the console object in the page. Once loaded, reload your page and the error should go away. You'll also see what they incorrectly coded if you go to the 'console' tab of the debugging console, as that's where the output of whatever they were trying to debug winds up.

As an aside, ListingBook.com, which runs on MLS, has some of the worst client side (javascript) code I've seen in a long time. I personally emailed them some fixes after I ran across numerous issues that were easily addressed, they did squat about it. I'm not a realtor, i'm a developer, So if your MLS system happens to be that site, i'm not surprised its failing.

My guess is this issue will disappear on its own as they find out the bug themselves, if it has not happened already. And don't do what DonnaB suggested, as it is totally unrelated to the issue you are seeing. If it does happen to be in your cache, it should never had made it there in the first place as the developers still, at some point, needed to release code to production that was never meant to be there.

Lastly, Java !== javascript. They are two complete different things entirely. The only thing they share in common is the first four letters. Netscape chose javascript as the name for the language at the time for marketing reasons to jump on the bandwagon of success Java (by Sun) was experiencing at the time, way back in the mid 90's. The commonalities end there. So the entire reference above to Java versions is completely out of place and irrelevant to the issue.