Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Vista won't run ANY internet programs Freezes up Help!

• Please log in to reply

MARYANNVN

MARYANNVN

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have a Toshiba Laptop with Vista. I just recently got it back from Geeks Squad. They only did external work, (replaced keyboard/switches etc.)
I use this laptop for my home business/college classes.
After booting I try to click on Firefox or Internet Explorer,
it goes to a lighter screen with the cursor spinning around like it's trying. After a few minutes it hasn't done anything, (ignores Control, Alt, & Delete). Then it goes to a completely black screen with nothing but the mouse visible. It won't let me do anything.
I didn't think there was any spyware/malware on it, however I can't even run the steps in your tutorial to find out because
I can't get to the interntet!!
I've tried re-starting it and everything several times. I'm so frustrated, please help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi MARYANNVN
Have you checked the Device Manager for any components that may have a yellow ! or red X by them?
You should not have to sort this if the fault was not present before it went to Geeks Squad, return with the laptop and demonstrate the problem to their staff and certainly let them know that you are less than happy as they obviously havn`t fully tested the laptop before returning it.

MARYANNVN

MARYANNVN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
No it wasn't present before them. I have a warranty so I sent the laptop off to have the whole bottom half replaced because half the ports or what ya call them stopped working, the charger port didn't work, etc. When they returned it, they had forgot to check the wireless internet switch, so I had to send it back again because the switch itself had not been plugged in when they replaced the entire bottom half.
..Anyways I've had terrible experiences with them.

I don't see anything x or ! wise around the device manager...
I also want to make sure it isn't spyware/malware because in the event it is I doubt my warranty covers it. Sending it off takes at least 3 weeks :) I wish I had enough time to join you guys, y'all are wayyyy better!
I tried to go to control panel, it's not responding
ANYTHING i open is not responding :unsure:

Edited by MARYANNVN, 17 September 2011 - 09:18 AM.

MARYANNVN

MARYANNVN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
It's gone back to the black screen and won't do anything

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
It appears that you have not had the best of service or experience with Geek Squad.
Do you happen to know how many sticks of Ram you have fitted, if 2 try running with one stick at a time,first remove the battery and power cord, remove each stick,press and hold down the power on button to dispel any static charge that may have built up in the laptop, blow out the Ram slots then reseat the Ram securely, reassemble and then power up.
Let us know the results.

MARYANNVN

MARYANNVN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm not sure that I went to the right place. I took the battery out and what not. I'm pretty sure I didn't see Ram sticks because all that stuff is inaccessible on my laptop. The one time I went to Geek Squad they said part of the reason they had to send it out is because you have to take darn near the whole thing apart to get to anything like that. I'm powering up right now, and it seems I'm still experiencing problems. It's running very slow, however it has let me get to your website on it. (I'm using a desktop right now)Now It's already frozen up!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Can you post the model name or number of the laptop please so that I can do some research on adding/removing the Ram.
If you look at this link http://en.wikipedia....shiba_Satellite you will see why we need the details, there are so many different models

MARYANNVN

MARYANNVN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
No problem! I understand! Toshiba Satelitte E105-S1402 SYSTEM UNIT Model No. PSE10U-002003 DC19V 3.95A, SERIAL NO X8045675Q, It also reads: PA3655U-1MPC Contains radio device 512AN_MMW Contains FCC ID: CJ6UPA3655WL IC: 248H-DPA3655W, Across from that it reads: PA3633U-1BTM Contains radio device EYTFEBS Contains FCC ID: QDSBRCM1032 IC:432A-BRCM1032 WiFi, Bluetooth, 2.4FH1

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thank you for the additional info, see steps 1-7 @ http://www.irisvista...rt-laptop-1.htm you can then decide if you wish to check the Ram is ok, is it loose , dusty etc.

MARYANNVN

MARYANNVN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
No, it wasn't loose or dusty. Is there another route to take? I tried to run windows defender and it came up with Error OX800106b5, and AVG stalled out after a few minutes as well. It's currently shut down

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Couple of questions, what anti virus software do you have on the laptop (you mention Windows defender & AVG I know) and can you boot into Safe Mode "how to" http://windows.micro...er-in-safe-mode
If this is not a software issue then I`m afraid it is back in for repair under warranty and I am sorry to say there are more than one possible cause with a damaged HDD, system board or power issue as examples.

MARYANNVN

MARYANNVN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yes, I can start in safe mode. I also have mcafee security software. I'm pretty sure that was the trial version that came with the computer and I never uninstalled it. Thanks for your help so far, just trying to find out what the problem is so I know what the next step is!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Sorry about the delay in coming back to you.
The first thing that I suggest is boot into safe mode with networking and remove all traces of mcafee using the correct uninstall tool http://service.mcafe...spx?id=TS100507 as this may be conflicting with AVG, let us know if this makes a difference.
Is the AVG the free version or subscription?