Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless no go?

• Please log in to reply

RobertJ.

RobertJ.

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a brand new HP Laptop. There is a white light on keyboard that signifies that wireless is on board and running. Yet, I cannot access internetit. Bios says I have wireless. Everyone I have talked to says you have a built in Antenna,no need to purchase a USB Adapter. Can you tell me the "real" story
as to what is need?

Thank you,
Bob

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have a wireless network within range? have you opened up the wireless utility to connect to a wireless network?

RobertJ.

RobertJ.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I do have a connection to the Internet, not sure how to open the wireless utility? The on;ly thing I klnowm is the light on keyboard says I am connected.

Bob

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what do you mean you do have a connection to the internet? the little light typically means the radio is on, not that you're connected to anything

what model of laptop? is it running windows 7? do you see a little computer down there next to the clock on the right?

RobertJ.

RobertJ.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
You asked if I had a wireless Network within range,there is a signal logo on the right lower screen that says," WLan is on, when you click on that I get the message, "Wireless Lan adapter is enabled, device is working properly. Yes, Im do have a small computer box on the lower right as well.

I have Win 7 on a new HP Pavilion dv6 notebook.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
here'shere's a video/tutorial from microsoft about connecting to a wireless network in windows 7

RobertJ.

RobertJ.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the help. I have to get in touch with my Internet provider in order to get the codes i need, then I should be able to get online because of your good advice.

Thanks again,

Bob