Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Conve

• Please log in to reply

forumreader123

forumreader123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys, i have a question about windows 7. I dont know whehter its a stupid question or not. I have windows 7 32 bit but i want 64 bit. Si is there any way to convert 32 bit windows into 64bit. If anyone have answer plz help me out, i also tried to get help from some best and well known technology blogs.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo.

Firstly and most genuinely, there are NO stupid questions and on GeekstoGo there are VERY VERY FEW stupid answers.

Your first approach to this is CAN your computer run 64 bit Windows.
To run a 64-bit version of Windows, your computer must have a 64-bit-capable processor. To find out if your processor is 64-bit-capable, do the following:

• Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button Posted Image, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Performance Information and Tools.
  • In Windows 7, click View and print detailed performance and system information.
  • In the System section, you can see what type of operating system you're currently running under System type. Under 64-bit capable, you can see whether you can run a 64-bit version of Windows. (If your computer is already running a 64-bit version of Windows, you won't see the 64-bit capable listing.)
If it cannot, then you are going no further with this option, on that computer.

Now please see this
http://windows.micro...lling-Windows-7

The short answer is NO it cannot be easily converted.
Basically you are facing a reinstall, known as a custom install on Windows 7.

The next question is what version of Windows 7 media was used to install
Retail versions of Windows 7 except Home Basic include both 32-bit & 64-bit discs on the box in case you are undecided or prefer to make the jump to the 64-bit version of the OS at a later time.
HOWEVER that does not mean that the media you used did. You need to examine the DVD

Finally if you still have questions please post, you may however find this helpful
http://windows.micro...-64-bit-windows

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 September 2011 - 04:46 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
forumreader123

It is now three days since you started this thread and asked for advice.
That advice was posted within 3 hours of your request.
Would you kindly respond, rather than just leaving the matter.
Thank you.