Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browers (both Firefox & IE)are EXTREMELY slow

• Please log in to reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Thanks,

Thanks for holding the Post.

I may take advantage of "Black Friday/Weekend" bargains to buy a second monitor; if so, I may be back to this post earlier than expected. I have one quick question. Which do you feel is better anti-virus software: AVIRA or Kaspersky Internet Security 2012?

js

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
I like the free version of Avast!

As far as paid protects the Kaspersky, ESET, and Avast are my preferences but it needs to be something you are comfortable with and like.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

I'm back. Unfortunately, I haven't yet set up my new computer so I haven't checked that XP disc. However, I got a new problem. I get only text, i.e. no graphics, pictures, etc.) on my MSN homepage when using FIREFOX. All the sub-pages of MSN, e.g Entertainment, Sports, etc, are working fine.

Also this only is a problem when I open Windows. When my wife gets on, the MSN homepage is fine.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Hi,

I am sorry to hear about your issues. It sounds like you have a corrupt account and there are two ways we can handle this:

Option I

You can create a new account for you and start using it.

Option II

If it works fine and you want to bring over settings and files from your old account we can do this:

Transfer from old to new user account

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

I created a new account, but it had the same problem, and as far as I could tell, only www.msn.com displays as only text.

Also very randomly I get an error message that says "The Updated GUI could not be started."

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

I get only text, i.e. no graphics, pictures, etc.) on my MSN homepage when using FIREFOX. All the sub-pages of MSN, e.g Entertainment, Sports, etc, are working fine.

Try this series of checks to correct the MSN problem.

In particular try this step if the above is not working:

Make a new profile

A bad profile can cause all kinds of problems with Firefox. To see whether your problem is caused by a bad profile, make a new one. If that fixes the problem, you can copy your data (bookmarks, saved passwords, etc.) over to the new profile.

• Use the instructions in the Managing profiles article to start the Profile Manager and create a new profile.
  • When creating a new profile, do not delete your old profile. You will lose all of your bookmarks, history, passwords and settings.
  • Once you've created a new profile, select it in the Profile Manager and click Start Firefox.

Test to see if your problem occurs with the new profile. If it doesn't, you can copy your data to the new profile - see Recovering important data from an old profile for instructions.

Also very randomly I get an error message that says "The Updated GUI could not be started."

This sounds like an issue with Avira 2012. Please try to update from the main Avira screen. If it updates and still you are getting the message, try to update your profile in Avira under Configuration.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

I'm not sure exactly what I did, or which of the several things I did worked, but the problem is gone and MSN.com back to normal with a pics and graphics.

js

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Good news! :lol: :cool: :thumbsup:

Just come back when you are ready!

CompCav

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

I'm back. I set up my new computer, but I will continue to use the old computer (from which I am making this reply) for as long as it still runs. We left the situation with you asking what is the version of the XP disc that came with the new computer. It is with SP2. Will be able to do the scan with this disc?

I hope you had a great Christmas and will have a healthy and successful New Year.

js

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

I'm back. I set up my new computer, but I will continue to use the old computer (from which I am making this reply) for as long as it still runs. We left the situation with you asking what is the version of the XP disc that came with the new computer. It is with SP2. Will be able to do the scan with this disc?

That will work just fine.

I hope you had a great Christmas and will have a healthy and successful New Year.

I did and I hope your Christmas was great and that your New Year is outstanding.

Click Start > Run

Type sfc /scannow then click OK

When it asks for the CD, please insert it and click retry

Allow it to run, it should take several minutes.

Once it completes remove the CD and reboot the computer.

Please let me know what issues, if any, remain with your computer.

CompCav

Advertisements

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

I ran scannow. I was prompted for the XP Cd and I loaded it. Nonetheless, the run paused numerous times but each time I clicked on Retry and it continued running. When done (It took several hours.), I rebooted. It has been so long I forgot the purpose for running the scannow.

Regardless, the computer seems to be running OK. MS Word 2003 loads with no problem, the overall speed is good. The only annoying problem that remains is that whenever I open or close Firefox I still get an "Unwanted File" or MALWARE FOUND window from AVIRA. It is in C:\Documents and Settings\Baba\...\CACHE_001_'. The detection is HTML?Infected.WebPage.Gen3'

If I close the Avira window it pops up a second time. On the second close it goes away. If I click remove, AVIRA goes into a quick scan. The problem always comes back.

I can live with it, if necessary, but if there is an easy fix that would be great.

js

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Step 1.

Log on as Baba at startup.

Run Firefox and click this link and follow the instructions:
http://support.mozil...clear the cache

Please Clear the Cache and Automatically clear the cache

Now close Firefox, restart FireFox, close Firefox and see if the Avira notice comes up again. If it is clear go on to step 2 and if not continue here:

If that fails then try the more drastic method

In the run box type in the following command

C:\Documents and Settings\Baba\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles

Navigate to the folder called (random numbers/letters).default in the directory window that opens and and right-click on it and select Rename.

Now rename it to Backup.Default.

Now launch FireFox and check if the issues you have been experiencing have been rectified.

Note: You may have to reapply your custom settings/import bookmarks again etc.

If this works then go back to the run command again and type in

C:\Documents and Settings\Baba\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles

Right click on Backup.default and then left click delete.

This "infection" is being picked up on your computer by some site that Baba is visiting that may not be clean. I believe you can help prevent this in two ways:

First install an add-on that is called WOT. This will bring up a blocking screen if a site is suspect. A person can ignore it but they do so at a risk of infection.

Second install an add-on called NoScript. This will prevent scripts from unknowingly running on a web page that could plant this material. Again you have a choice to enable individual pieces on a website or the whole website.

An additional step is to have FireFox clean the cache automatically everytime you close it as noted in the link above and here. Set the cache to automatically clear

Step 2.

Clear Java Cache

Click Start > Control Panel > If in Category view, click Switch to Classic View > Double click Java

Under Temporary Internet Files click Settings... > click Delete Files... > Click OK

Then close the open windows related to Java and Control Panel.

Step 3.

Please confirm:

Cache is set to automatically clear on closing of FireFox everytime.

Add-on WOT is installed and enabled for Baba.

Add-on NoScript is installed and enabled for Baba.

Confirm if the issue is resolved or not.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
CompCav,

The problem with Firefox (the unwanted program message from AVIRA) is gone. I've also loaded the add-ons (NoScript and WOT) as you recommended. Overall I think everything is working OK. When I fist start-up things are a bit slow. At first it is because AVIRA is being updated, but even after that ends it is slow for a few minutes, but then all is OK. I noticed that the System Idle Process (according to the Task Manager) is supposedly consuming most of the CPU even though it uses on 16K memory. The odd thing is that according to the CPU Usage Performance in the Task Manager the machine is using only 4-8% CPU, the CPU column in the Processes tab shows the System Idle Process at 95+%.

This is not a real problem, so, unless you feel we should pursue it, I'd say that we can finally close this topic.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

The odd thing is that according to the CPU Usage Performance in the Task Manager the machine is using only 4-8% CPU, the CPU column in the Processes tab shows the System Idle Process at 95+%.

These are very good results. The higher the better for System Idle Process when you are done booting up or when the computer was resting.

When I fist start-up things are a bit slow. At first it is because AVIRA is being updated, but even after that ends it is slow for a few minutes, but then all is OK.

If you like we can look at what is starting up when you boot up the computer and disable a few of the items. Many items autostart but do not need to in order for you to use the tool or program.

CompCav

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Another excellent tool for your computer is a good uninstaller with extra tools that you already have, RevoUninstaller.

• Please download the free Revo Uninstaller. Or if you have it still installed just follow the steps below:
  • Run the revosetup.exe to install Revo Uninstaller Free version.
  • Start Revo Uninstaller
  • Click Tools in the top menu bar.
  • Click Autorun Manager in the left window pane.
  • Print the screen and post the picture in your next post.