Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Backup Restore Error 0x8100001A

• Please log in to reply

momma13

momma13

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
So frustrating! 4 laptops in this house and it seems all i get done doing is troubleshooting one of them. I can't take it anymore :)

Long story short i had to do a clean reinstall of Vista. A few days later (after days n hours of updates and reboots i think I'm up to date). . I connect the external hard driver where my back up is at, Start the backup restore program. First it does not find the folder in advance mode of restore, but it allows me to select a folder anyhow. I mark off my user name and when it starts a few seconds later i get this error 0x8100001A.
I did a full computer restore, from Vista to Vista (home premium service pack 2) My back up is on a External Hard drive (F)

Microsoft states to do this. . .
"When you use the Restore Files option to restore a backup file on a Windows Vista-based computer, you may receive the following error message:

The restore did not finish successfully. Error code:
The backup file could not be found. Check your hardware configuration or restore from a different backup (0x8100001A).

and the Mediaid.bin file is corrupted or lost, then use the following instructions for rebuilding it:

1.Unzip the sdutil.zip file and rename it from sdutil.ex_ to sdutil.exe
2.Copy the sdutil.exe to the root of the driver which contains the backup files
3.Open the folder Catalogs located bellow the folder BackupSet “aaaammdd” “xxxxxx”
4.Copy the file GlobalCatalog.wbcat to the root of this HD
5.Go to Start -> Execute and type CMD.exe
6.At this “DOS” window type: sdutil mediaid GlobalCatalog.wbcat [HD letter (as an example D:\)]
7.A new MediaID.bin is created
8.Try to restore the backup as usual using the advanced restore option and next the option restore an older backup created in this machine
9.If done: it’s over!
10.If it fails: Map a network driver at your LAN
11.Copy the MediaId.bin file to the root of the previous mapped LAN driver
12.Copy the whole folder BackupSet “aaaammdd” “xxxxxx” to this same driver
13.Try to restore the backup as usual using the advanced restore option and next the option restore backup created in another machine
14.At the next menu, point the backup folder at your LAN mapped driver and start the restore process
15.Now you shall have your backup proper restored at the right machine
16.Good Luck!"

So i did - but it still does the same thing. I was not sure if the is the "root" area where I was to insert the file is simply on the F drive, or if it needed to be within the back up folder inside the F drive itself (did that make sense?)
At Step 10 - I'm lost so i only tried the first part.
There are 38 zipped folders inside the back up, I'd really like for Microsoft to do it's thing so I do not have to figure out how to get all of my settings back as they were. Especially my mail, I'm so screwed without my back ups from my Outlook. Which I'm praying are inside of that back up somewhere and i didn't need to do a separate outlook backup.

I'm thinking my next laptop will be a mac. :yes:
Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

Edited by momma13, 07 November 2011 - 07:28 AM.

Advertisements