Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Plez help start up problem

• Please log in to reply

WannaBeMrWannaBe

WannaBeMrWannaBe

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi guys

Being having problems startin up my pc. Once I turn it on the monitor lights up and show me the dell logo then after a few seconds goes to sleep/shut down mode. Could it be the graphics card or the battery on the motherboard? Or something else. Any help would be nice!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello WannaBeMrWannaBe.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :)
:) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.
  • If you are receiving assistance in any other forum site please let us know as there may be conflicting advice given.

Before we can help you need to provide the following so I can start you in the right direction.
Laptop or Desktop?
  • If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
  • If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard
  • Total memory installed
  • Total hard drive capacity and free space
  • What steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue

Secondly I have closed the other topic you started in the malware forum as this seems to be more of a hardware issue. Myself along with another member are reviewing your topic now and after supplying the above information will will start with assisting you. :yes:

WannaBeMrWannaBe

WannaBeMrWannaBe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It's a desktop an acer veriton 5900 Pro if that helps. It's a core 2 duo got 2 gb of ram and an after market graphics card geforce 9600 gt and I think a 80 gig hard drive with 70 to 75 gigs of space
Didn't do anything to it so far
Thanks

Edited by WannaBeMrWannaBe, 11 November 2011 - 04:12 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I think a 80 gig hard drive with 70 to 75 gigs of space

This would be total space and not just the free space. After partition and format the drive would show about 75 gigs usable space.

WannaBeMrWannaBe

WannaBeMrWannaBe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i can't turn on the computer to really check how much space there is; hence the problem!!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the system actually shutting down or is it just the monitor?

WannaBeMrWannaBe

WannaBeMrWannaBe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The system. The moniter has been tested and works fine.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds more like a PSU or Motherboard issue.
Are you getting any beeps at all?
Any error message at all?
Exactly where does it shutdown when posting and does it shut down at the same exact spot every time?

WannaBeMrWannaBe

WannaBeMrWannaBe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No error messages at All
It always shuts down at the same point
When you press the power button the computer turns on . You get a one beeb and you can hear all the fans running untill about 5 secounds in when a message comes up on the monitor saying "power save mode" and the computer shuts down.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did the problem start with the new graphics card being installed?
You can reset the bios by removing the battery on the motherboard for a couple of minutes and then putting it back in and restarting the system.
Disconnect power from the system and then open the case.
Remove the battery being careful not to damage the spring or clip holding it in place. After a couple of minutes put the battery back in, Reconnect the power and then start the system.
Do you have a onboard graphics also?
The next step would be to take out the add on card and try the onboard.

Advertisements

WannaBeMrWannaBe

WannaBeMrWannaBe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The computer came with the graphics card when i bought it and was working fine for about a half year to a year untill it stopes working. The computer has no on board graphics. I will try it and get back to you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 12 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

WannaBeMrWannaBe

WannaBeMrWannaBe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry for not replying
About 10 days ago I went to turn the computer on to find out how many times the computer beeps before it turns of. Well it didn't turn off and has been working ever since. Been play COD so completely forgot about this post. Will keep you posted if the problem comes up again.
cheers for all your help ;)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update and we will continue to monitor for any other updates.

WannaBeMrWannaBe

WannaBeMrWannaBe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok the problem is back uP again. Last night I turned of the computer and the next day went to turn it on but it doesn't want to start again. Like I said before when I press the power button on the case there is one beep and all the psu, gpu, and case fans turns on but after a few seconds they turn off and whole system shuts down.
Any help would be nice!!!