Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting the run around - I just want AVIRA REMOVED!

• Please log in to reply

ding dong

ding dong

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
These cant help me - its gotta be more simple than that
http://www.pchelpfor...t-not-gone.html

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Have you followed these instructions? If so, what happened? How do you know Avira is still present? Do you still see Avira in your Task Manager? Have you successfully been able to install an alternative anti-malware solution, like Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)?

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
done all that and avira's own cleaner says there are files that could not be deleted - so they will have to be deleted mannually or something - do you want a snap of this operation failure?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
That usually means it left a folder behind. This is harmless, though it does clutter up your disk and folder lists a tiny bit. Did you look in the install location for such a folder, then try to delete it?

I ask again, do you see Avira running in Task Manager? And more importantly, do you have a good anti-malware solution installed now?

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
yes have Avast running now while sorting this out but its not viral or malware. All it is is leftover avira files causing the the installation of an avira program to malfunction. it keeps asking me to reboot every time i open my pc.

what i need is to remove the registry keys and someone to walk mne through this or get something that will get ridf of them - have tried revo but this is complicated and not getting anywhere with the guys on another site trying to help me with it - i dont think it will get rid of it anyway - it needs to be done mannually.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

All it is is leftover avira files causing the the installation of an avira program to malfunction. it keeps asking me to reboot every time i open my pc.

What do you mean by "open my pc"?

Another thing you can try is to run those remove programs in Safe Mode.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
open my pc, turn it on, start it up?

its a permissions thing, i want that sorted out first. how do i get controll of my pc?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Open my PC means to me, removing the side panel and digging around inside.

Are you getting any errors?

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
yes, when i go into the registry to delete avira entries it wont let me.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The Registry? I never mentioned and don't recommend you do that unless you know what you are doing and have taken the necessary precautions to backup the Registry first. Dinking with the Registry risks corrupting Windows.

What are you trying to reinstall?

What are the errors?

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Scroll down to Avira here http://answers.micro...88-0aa4c25a1f91

You may have to right click and run as Administrator in order for the uninstall tools to work.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
He's already tried the Avira Registry Cleanup tool, but the trick might be running as administrator.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
i done work in the registry before and again is ask, if they are avira files, then whats the harm in removing them?

Digerati is closest to my problem.

Where can i go to give myself complete control over my pc once and for all instead of giving myself permission every time i encounter the problem?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

if they are avira files, then whats the harm in removing them?

Probably nothing. But anti-malware solutions dig and set deep roots. If you are going to proceed, please follow these steps to backup the registry.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
a little confused.

its not anti-malware that i am am trying to remove its avira tidbits leftover. how much deeper can you get than the registry? where else could avira be hiding?