Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

linux install

• Please log in to reply

cyberjunkie

cyberjunkie

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I want to install linux on my computer but i dont want to partition my main hard drive. However i have an extra hard drive that i can use. Can i install linux on that second drive and still be able to run both of the OS's?(at different times of course) If so how would i go about doing that????

Edited by cyberjunkie, 01 June 2005 - 06:59 PM.

Advertisements

vral

vral

• Pip
  • 9 posts
If I am not wrong, you should be able to install linux on your second drive. as you might be aware that linux requires at least two partitions. one for swap (that linux uses as additional ram when necessary, ususally 500 MB is good) and second partition for your linux(root). and during to installation, make sure you choose to install linux boot manager in the MBR otherwise you may not be able to boot your OSs or boot manager will not work properbly as I had some trouble before when I didn't have boot manager installed on MBR.
i guess, this will get you going.

cyberjunkie

cyberjunkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok so my hard drive is 40 gig so i need one partition that is 500 megs and the other one can be what left of the 40 gig?

vral

vral

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes, that is correct. you need one partition that is at least 500 MB for swap partition and make this partition as your first partition and you can have rest of the space on your drive for linux.

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
NO NEED just go for linux default PARTITIONAR