Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to connect to wireless network

• Please log in to reply

adlb1300

adlb1300

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just got a new laptop which is running Windows 7. When I try to connect to my wireless network I get a Windows Security pop up asking me for a user name and password. The router is a SpeedStream 6520 which was provided by my Internet DSL provider. I have never had this problem before as I have connect IPod Touchs and a Vista laptop and a work laptop running XP a few years ago without issue. In the past when I try to connect it asks me for the passphrase for the router. I enter it and I get connected. I have tried the account username and password I set up when I first turned on the computer without success. Any ideas why it is asking for a username and password and not just the passphrase? Is it a security feature in Windows 7 I can turn off?

Thanks

Edited by adlb1300, 01 December 2011 - 07:15 PM.

Advertisements