Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Userinit application has stopped working

• Please log in to reply

icikle

icikle

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hello, I am getting the above error nearly every time I try to logon and sometimes it takes multiple restarts to get it to stop popping up. I am also occasionally getting the same error about task scheduler. I have checked my services properties and both are set to automatic run.

I have ran scans with Avast and Malwarebytes Anti Malware and have no threats detected at all.

I was thinking about doing a format but do you guys have any other ideas?

Thanks and Happy Holidays :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tutorial on how to do a Startup Repair in Win7 located HERE.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hi, thanks for the reply but I have since located some malware and I have posted a thread in the malware section here, please have a look and offer any advice you can. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
One of our Malware Techs will have to help you there as we are not allowed to respond unless trained for the malware forum.
One of them will be with you ASAP. :thumbsup:

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hi,

I believe I have ridded my pc of malware, and I just tried the startup repair but it came back with no errors. The userinit message still comes up every time i login and sometimes it says the same thing about task scheduler...could it be something to do with my user profile? Im contemplating making a new admin account just to see.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Though not our normal I am including the below to see if it will correct your usernit issue quickly.

Hello user,

We will have to create a small 'fix CD' to solve this problem.
Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe (You might have to confirm admin rights if you're running this on Vista or above.)
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to add extra files. Please add:
    [code-x]C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe[/code-x]
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC, Please do so.
    Note; Click on the Burn button before inserting a disk.

Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

D:
cd ExtraFiles
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
This seems to be for xp and I'm Running windows 7. Also it doesnt have my windows in the list, just d:/Windows and leaving the admin password blank for this doesn't work.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then what you need to do is a startup repair for Win7

Tutorial on how to do a Startup Repair in Win7 located HERE.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Yeah, we tried this, I mentioned in an earlier post it came back with no errors. BUt I still have the problem.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Upon checking I see no resolution with your Malware issue which I believe to be the root of your issue.
Have you posted in the Waiting room to let the Malware techs know you have not received a response to your malware topic?

If your topic is 3 days old or more, and you haven't received a reply, please start a new topic in the Waiting Room with ONLY:
- a link to your topic
- a brief description of your issue i.e Malware - Hardware- Application - Operating system. (Do not post any Malware logs)
- the date it was posted
- please use the topic description box to show which forum the original topic was posted in

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see our malware topic has been closed with a resolution. Is the issue still not resolved or is everything now working correctly.