Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network and USB issues

• Please log in to reply

ESEA

ESEA

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Guys
I am loosing my hair over this! It is either related or two separate issues. I am short of reformatting and reinstalling Windows 7

afresh. I Think I am one of those folks that knows enough about computers to be dangerous at times!

I started to be fully aware of some issues when I tried to link my mu XBox with my Media centrer and could not get it to work so I

started to "poke" around the "Services" setting. Before this point My network (Homegroup etc.) was running fine but I can not say

weather the USB issue was there at that stage.

For the USB problem I can run some devices and not others It sees and works with some USB memory sticks not others, it sees and things

like my bamboo tablet, Logitec wireless USB keyboard, work but not my Motorola Xoom and Kindel when conected.
For the problem devices, If I remove and uninstall dirivers (in the devices and printerd window) It will run the install new driver

rutine with the result, not finding the driver. With the folowing messages in the "unknown device Properties" box:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

For the Network!
It did work and all other computers were avalable both ways "seen and be seen" untill, as I have said started poking around in the services thingy. Some of the serveses give me the following when statting them:
"Windows could not start the Network List Service service on Local Computer.Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to

start."

Other info:
I am still able to conect to the internet and see and work with my mapped external NAS drive (iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive)
In iTunes I was able to see this PC from a netbook using the share part of it.
I Tried Microsoft "Fix It" but get :"Fix it troubleshooting cannot continue because an error occurred. were SORRY, but we encountered an unexpected problem downloading one or more components.........., please TRY AGAIN LATER"

System Info
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ASUS
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+, 2800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0902, 16/02/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name ASUS\Edwin
Time Zone Romance Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.57 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.5 GB
Page File Space 8.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Thanks if anyone can help
Regards Edwin C

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
There is a fair amount of information in your post.

1. However to start with here are, in case you are not aware, the error codes. The document is as you will see XP, However please be aware that the error codes in device manager remain the same in Windows7
http://support.micro...kb/310123/en-gb

2. I would look at the services, changing the start type of services, without making a note of WHAT it was before you started is NEVER a good idea.
With reference to the service that reported

"Windows could not start the Network List Service service on Local Computer.Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

If you go to the service and click dependencies, you will see each service that the ONE in question depends ON and the ones that depend on the ONE in question - if you follow that.

Dealing briefly with the USB issue.
In respect of those items mentioned here

Motorola Xoom and Kindel when conected.

You may well be in the position where you need to ensure you commission the driver and DO NOT allow Windows to do so automtically.

I would start with a chkdsk /f
and follow that with a system file check.
sfc /scannow
How to run System File check
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Re the Network isue

I am NOT sure to which Fixit you refer, but the one for reset of protocol and winsock etc does not work in Windows7 as per the article here.
http://support.micro...xItMyselfAlways

and the specific extract here
To reset the configuration of the Winsock protocol automatically, click the Fix this problem link. Click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.
This Fix it solution does not work in Windows 7. If you are working on a computer that is running any version of Windows 7, please follow Method 4 in the previous section.

ESEA

ESEA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
@ Macboatmaster
First of all I would like to thank you for your time and help.
Secondly I have been unavailable to look into this till last night.

I have Not managed to get anywhere with this, in fact it has got worse!

On the network issue additionally I can see shared folders on other folders but when I

run the the "HomeGroup" trouble shooter I get " Some HomeGroup problems are network-

related. We recommend that you trouble shoot network problems"
When I run that I get the following "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem"
Getting back to the "HomeGroup trouble shooter" It now tells me "Windows Firewall is

incorrectly configured - not fixed" and "HomeGroup Provider service isn't running

When I allow "HomeGroup" in the Firewall "allowed programs" dialog the "Save settings"

is greyed out but Once I disable Windows Firewall that problem goes away
But the "HomeGroup Provider service isn't running is still the issue.

Now for the USb issue I have done what somone on the Microsoft forums sugested and

remove /uninstall all USB related drivers in the "Device Manager" whic I did hoping it

would install all the nessesery drivers as windows has done in the past BUT now I have

no USB divices working at all! and nothing is installing or bieing discoverd. Eccept I

now have 2 "Universal Serial Bus (USB) controllers in the "Other divices" category

Thanks once again Edwin

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am a little unsure from your reply which part of my post 2 you HAVE done and which you have NOT

for instance have you checked in services as I recommended.
I would have explained how to get there - to services etc. But you already know that as you say in your opening post - I started to poke around in services etc.

Have you done the chkdsk.
Have you done the system file check please.

Have you checked and if it is not then working have you carried out the procedure of the manual fix it for Windows 7 as per the last link on my post 2

ESEA

ESEA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Macboatmaster
Thanks once again, at the moment I am not at my home computer at the moment but will be later this evening.
On Your points:
1. Honestly to tell you the truth I have gone there and got quite lost! and thats where I landed up listing to the other folks in the forums (through the community) deleting all the USB drivers as mentioned things got worse!
2.This is where things went wrong in the beginning for the networking when trying to connect the windows media centre with the XBox! AND yes I should have taken note of what I changed but did not. Is there a reset some where....I guess not as I would have stumbled into it along the line.
3. The services and dependencies , have tried to follow this thinking I am getting places then I get to one where I can not change.
4."You may well be in the position where you need to ensure you commission the driver and DO NOT allow Windows to do so automtically" I know I have come across this. Could you please assist me in finding the parameter where I switch it to manual.
5.I have done this with nothing wrong! I will to it again tonight when I get home to make sure I do the "chkdsk /f and sfc /scannow" correctly.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. If you have done the chkdsk as follows there is no need to do it again.

For the chkdsk /f.

Open Computer entry on the start menue, right click the hard drive with Windows on it. Click properties, click the tools tab, on error checking, click check now, ensure the top box check for file system errors is checked, click start agree the message to run on restart and so so. That is the same as a chkdsk /f initiated from the command prompt, at the C:\> prompt where you would simply type chkdsk /f

Do not interrupt the check.

The system file check command is done by

Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file. To do this, follow these steps:
  • Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  • Type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannowThe sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
IF YOU HAVE DONE these as above you DO NOT need to do them again.

2. When you get home and I will be online about 1800 hrs post and we can work together on the services.
Does this help

You go to services, you open that service in question by double clicking on it, you then click on dependencies and you work from there setting each of those services to the default configuration see link below below of Automatic, manual etc and then try and start them.
http://answers.micro...10-964b86cfc36b

ESEA

ESEA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Macboatmaster
Home now and done with all the chores!
Just ran the chkdsk /f
As in..... "Open Computer entry on the start menue, right click the hard drive with Windows on it. Click properties, click the tools tab, on error checking, click check now, ensure the top box check for file system errors is checked, click start agree the message to run on restart and so so."
Restarted it did its thing.
Now on to the next thing

ESEA

ESEA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
After the scan I Get the following.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

This file is full of stuff! what's next?

In the services When I...say open "Network Connections Properties" and try to start it I get the following:

"Windows could not start the Network Connections service on Local Computer.

Error 1079: The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process.
When I go to the services it depends on or the other services that depend on it I start to open up loads of them as they are all dependent on each other and I am completely lost on which should be set to what. I have tried to understand the link you gave me but it seems like I have lots of different services than what he is showing?

By the way I might not have told you that at some point in the boot up of windows I an seeing some recognition of the USB devices but then it stops eg if I have a USB mouse connected it will work a bit but then it stops.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
PLEASE SEE POST 10

1.Would you please get me the chkdsk results
open Control Panel
Administrative tools
Event Viewer
Expand Windows logs in the left hand pane please and click on Application, when that opens in the cetral window, please go to theright hand pane click on the find and in the box type chkdsk.
After a short while the entry will appear in the main window
Check pl;ease that it is the chkdsk you have just run and then on the right pane click copy and select as text file
Simply then open wordpad right click and click paste.

Please then again copy and paste those results from the file to your reply

2. Re the system file check
How to See and Read Only the "SFC" Scan Results from the CBS.LOG
NOTE: When SFC runs, it logs it's actions into the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. The steps in this option will show you how to see only the specific SFC entries .

1. Open an elevated cmd pormpt (right click -> Run as administrator).

2. In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below and press Enter. (See screenshot below)
NOTE: This will place a sfcdetails.txt file on your desktop with only the SFC scan result details from the CBS.LOG in it.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

Close the elevated command prompt.

Open the sfcdetails.txt file on your desktop to see the SFC scan details in the CBS.LOG.

You may find that a reboot is shown as needed in the log and you may also see that most of them are of minor consequence.
If you wish post the log.

If there is anything that impresses you as serious , please run the cmd again after a reboot and compare the logs.

Network List Service service

from your first post and my screenshot.

NOT may I point out the
Network Connections Properties as on your last.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above would you please go to Control panel, Admin Tools, Services, and scroll to Security Centre entry.
Would you please open that service.
Is the service shown as running ie: the stop service button is available.
If the service is shown as stopped ie the start button is avilable would you please try and start it.

If you see this post before you start the last, you may do this first and post the results just to this, before you proceed.

Advertisements

ESEA

ESEA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Macboatmaster
Thanks, I will get to this tonight when I get home around the same time as last night

ESEA

ESEA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Macboatmaster
I have attached the two files requested
Attached File  CHKDDSK20120110.txt   5.31KB   134 downloads
Attached File  sfcdetails.txt   147.09KB   153 downloads
I have looked at the "Security Centre" service and it is running (start button is available) and Service status: "Started" is indicated
So I would presume that the service was running yesterday when I did the chkdsk
Once again thanks for your time.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am sorry to labout the point but it is important.
Would you kindly go back to services and open by double clicking the service Security Centre

Would you then check again please.

Is the service shown as running ie: the stop service button is available.
If the service is shown as stopped ie the start button is avilable would you please try and start it.

In otherwords if the service is running the START button is NOT available it is greyed out. The STOP button is available.
If the service is NOT running the START button is available and the STOP button is greyed out.

The reason I am asking you to go back and check again is that you have replied

I have looked at the "Security Centre" service and it is running (start button is available) and Service status: "Started" is indicated

Actually it was nothing to do with the chkdsk which is by the way clear. No problems there.

However there are problems in your system file check and I will have I think a better idea of how best to proceed when you have replied to the above

ESEA

ESEA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Sorry my mistake the "Start" is grey and the "Stop" is dark with the Service status: "Started" is indicated in the "Security Centre" service Properties also in the Service list status is "Started"

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
There appears to me to be two options

1. Is that you go back again to services and using firstly the error report

and using my screenshot in my post 6, and the default list in the same post you check each of the dependant services and then change the start configuration to automatic or manual as shown on the default list and start the service.
Then returning to the Network List Service and see if that one will now start

Then examine the network connections service.doing the same.

I apologise if this seems confusing, but try as I might, I cannot make it any simpler, other than what I have said here and the screenshot.

If you wish to try this first and I have to say I do NOT hold out a lot of hope, you may do. It will do no harm.

TRY this cmd please
netsh winsock reset

2. The other option I see is a system restore to the day before you had this problem
NOTE
Please ensure you disable your ANTI VIRUS it may prevent the system restore working. correctly

ALSO please ensure that you select a restore point at a date before the problem and please be aware that you will of course lose all work and changes to the system AFTER that restore point, so if need be ensure you have it backed it up.

Here is HOW to do a system restore and the full procedure is explained.
http://www.sevenforu...em-restore.html

IF you decide to try the resetting of the services I will of course help you as much as is possible.

If the netsh winsock reset cmd. and the system restore tried separately - try the cmd first please do not work, then we will be looking I think at a repair install of windows NOT a reinstall - so hopefully all your programs and personal files will remain intact.