Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restoreing computer

• Please log in to reply

Christina Clark

Christina Clark

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I was trying to reatore my hp pavilion to a past restore point and it worked but it locked me out and i dont have the old password or a password reset disk or a windows disk, so i wouldlike to just start over with my computer back to the origanal settings i already have my stuff backed up on a flash drive and want to know what i can do now?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the model number of the laptop?

HP has a Fn key you can press when you boot that takes you into Recovery mode. I think it's F11 but it may be F10 or Ctrl+F11. Look in your users manual or look at the online users manual at the HP web site.

Support & Drivers

Enter the model number then click Search.
Click on your computer in the list below.
Select your operating system then click Next
On the right side, under Support for this product, click on Manuals.
Look in the manual for something about restoring the operating system.

Also, if you post your model number I can help look for this.

Christina Clark

Christina Clark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
dv63010us .... so i got into the administraters account now my problem is that whenever i plug my computer in i loose control of the mouse...... any ideia why that would happen

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Are you using a USB moue or the Touchpad? If mouse, try it with just the Touchpad until you can remove/reset the password on your normal account. Once you do that, boot normally then plug in the USB mouse once it's finished booting.

Christina Clark

Christina Clark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
im back on my normal account and im useing a touch pad it also only dose that when the computer is plugged in

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
By plugged in do you mean the power or something else?

Also, what do you mean when you say you lose control? What happens?

Christina Clark

Christina Clark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i MEn pluging it in as in power yes and nothing the mouse just dances around the screen and i cant move it

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I don't know. I can't think of anything that would cause a problem like that.

Do you have a USB mouse you could plug in and try?

You can try this. Won't hurt, may help.

Boot to Safe mode.
Login as Administrator
Open Device Manager (Start / Run / type devmgmt.msc and press Enter)
Expand Mice and other pointing devices
Right click on your mouse/touchpad and select Uninstall. If prompted, do not uninstall the driver.

You or may not have a useable mouse at this point, not sure. If you do then restart in normal mode.
If you don't, press Windows key (next to left Ctrl key) and the R key to open the Run box. Type
shutdown /r /t 0 and press Enter.

In either case once the laptop restarts, it will redetect the mouse and reload the driver. That may fix the problem.

If that doesn't help then I would suggest recovering the system to it's factory new state. You do this as follows:

To restore the system from the partition:
1. Access Recovery Manager in either of the following ways:
● Select Start > All Programs > Recovery Manager > Recovery Manager.
– or –
● Turn on or restart the computer, and then press esc while the “Press the ESC key for Startup
Menu” message is displayed at the bottom of the screen. Then, press f11 (HP Recovery).
2. Click System Recovery in the Recovery Manager window.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions.

This is from the User's Guide found here: Manuals for HP Pavilion dv6-3010us

Before you do this you need to backup any data you do not want to lose as doing a factory restore will wipe out everything on the hard drive putting it back to the way it was when you first bought it.