Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 won't boot

• Please log in to reply

GrahamH

GrahamH

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I am running Windows 7 on a Dell 1545 Inspiron laptop. Yesterday I downloaded software from Virgin Media to enable me to backup photos. Was in the middle of backup when there was a power failure and, as there wasn't much life on laptop battery, it shut down before I realised. When I try to reboot I get a message saying " Windows failed to start. A recent hardware/software change might be the cause. Insert Windows Installation disk and click repair computer.
File: \Boot\BCD
Info: The Windows Boot Configuration Data file is missing required information."

I haven't found the disk yet but am worried that following the instructions above will effectively reinstall Windows and I will lose valuable files on the hard drive.

I have tried tapping F8 on startup but can't get into safe mode to back up my files.

If I don't find the disk is there an alternative solution?

Any help appreciated. I am a 60 year old retiree and whilst not a complete novice I would appreciate it if you could reply in laymans terms!

Cheers

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi GrahamH
It is not always F8 to get into the BIOS, try tapping F2 when you next power up, on some computers you can also temporarily boot from the CD/DVD drive by pressing F12, tapping the Del key is also used to enter the BIOS on some computers.