Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Games Slow After Reformatting

• Please log in to reply

nintendo424

nintendo424

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys, I just recently reformatted my dv7t-6100 HP laptop (using recovery disks), just to clean up my system.

After doing so, I proceeded to update drivers (using the HP ones supplied on the website), and after finishing that I thought I'd give my games a try.

I use Steam, so I used it to redownload my Skyrim and Team Fortress 2 data. This is where the trouble kicks in. I'm using the same settings as before the format, but I am getting more lag than I ever did before. I could play TF2 on max settings before with no slowness at all, but now I still lag with even toned down settings. Help?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi and :welcome:

Note that "just to clean up my system" is not a good reason to reinstall Windows. In fact, reinstalling is always a last resort effort to fix a problem.

Have you run all the Windows Updates?

Note that Windows 7 is pretty good at optimizing itself so the programs you use most perform best. But it takes a little while (few days) for it to learn you.

Finally, being a notebook it is very susceptible to heat issues - especially when gaming (and why notebooks, in spite of what their marketing people would like us to believe, do not make good gaming machine). So check your temps and make sure the system is not toggling down in speed to keep from over heating. Also, if you are on battery, check your power save options to make sure the defaults have not been set to long battery life and not performance.