Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

startup file

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
I have a startup file can't seem to get enough info on it from internet,want to know if i can remove it from start up.P17RunE RunDll32 P17RunE.dll,RunDLLEntry.Now i know this is a from creative.I had a creative sound blaster audigy LS pci card,replaced it with a creative sound blaster x-fi titanium pcie.Before i did this i removed all software and drivers from Audigy card.Could this be a leftover from Audigy or does it belong to titanium card,i don't think it does cause i had it with Audigy card as a startup.It says it's optional to stop from startup,but not sure,if i stop it from startup,will it affect titanium card, i can use ccleaner or tuneup utilities to do this,will it put itself back in startup or can i locate it,delete it all together?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Are you getting an error with this? Where it it being loaded from? If from the Startup Folder in your Start menu, then you can simply remove that shortcut to prevent it from starting with Windows. If it is starting due to a Registry entry, that will take some digging. You may also call up your sound card's control panel and see if there is some utility that starts with Windows you don't need.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
It runs in the MSCONFIG,nothing in startup in folder,nothing in control panel for sound card.I saw file in windows/system32 folder,i think it has to do with older sound card,and why wasn't removed when i uninstalled older drivers from it.If it's in the MSCONFIG it probably runs from registry,as i said before i can disable it from tuneup utilities which says it's optional to run,not needed or can use ccleaner also.My whole wonder is,does it belong to sound blaster x-fi titanium or sound blaster audigy?If belongs to audigy,than i should want to delete it.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
And no,no errors,i believe a few optimization,utility programs showed this to be obsolete or not needed,but i'm not sure and creative is no help on there site.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If you can disable it, I would and see what happens. You might consider using Driver Sweeper too.

Edited by Digerati, 27 January 2012 - 09:07 AM.
Fixed link

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Yes,i can try to disable it,see what happens,thought of that.That link you gave me for Phyxion.net was no good,but i looked it up saw had issues with Windows 7,which i have,i know had to do with SP1,which i already have and they did make a new version of it to fix issue.Also another program from Guru3d to clean old drivers,some of these make me scared to use,thinking they will screw up something else,as seem from reading some articles on them.So if u feel one of them has a way of making sure i can restore a problem,otherwise i am better not using these kind of programs,to prevent further headaches.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

That link you gave me for Phyxion.net was no good

Oops. I thought I verified that. :blush: Sorry. It works now.

If you don't want to use the Sweeper program, then just disable it for now and use the computer for awhile to make sure all works fine. Then, once you feel comfortable, you can delete it.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
I disabled it and it all works fine so far,but not sure about getting all of this file out of here,i did see it in system32 in windows folder main file.I may try sweeper program.As long as i see you can backup changes made,ty so far for help.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
A trick I use all the time, and have been for years when I am not sure a folder or a file is safe to delete is to rename it and see if anything breaks.

So, for example, for a file called filename.xyz I will rename it to filename.xyz-delete-1-28-2012. Then basically I just forget about it until something breaks or I stumble upon it again. If something breaks, the original filename is still there so I don't have to remember what it was. With the word "delete" I know my intentions and with the date in there, I know how long it has been. If all has been working fine, then I know I can safely delete it.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Does it need to have the dashes,like you used,filename.xyz-delete or filename.xyz-delete-2-1-2012,where does old file go,is it there when you restore it,from one you renamed? or does make two of them? So far everything is good,with removing it from startup.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
What about cut and paste file,to say,a external drive,for safe keeping,so can be put back?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
No, it does not need dashes. It just needs to be something that lets you easily figure out the original name - even if it is 6 months later - without having to write it down. When you rename a file, the file is still there, it does not go anywhere or make a second copy - it just has a new name. The point is, if another program needs that file, it will not be able to find it because it is looking for the old name. And if it cannot find it, it should toss up an error. The hope is, nothing will be looking for the old filename and you don't get any errors as then you will know it will be safe to delete.

The problem with cut and paste is that if you need to restore it, you MUST put it back in the exact same sub-folder from where it came. The folder map (directory tree) is not maintained when you cut and paste a file so you would have to remember (and/or record) exactly where each file came from. A real pain. Renaming means you don't have to remember anything.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.k.,i understand what you mean.This is the file i stopped from running in startup,it is found in c:/windows/system32 folder, P17RunE.dll,description,P17Run Endpoint Dynamic Link Library,created in 2008,which was before i added creative Audigy card,which this file is from Creative,in startup said RunDll32 P17RunE.dll,RunDLLEntry.There is also 3 other file i see,with similiar names,P17APO32.dll creative Audio processing object module,dated 2009,P17pld32.dll Creative Property page Loader Module,P17res.dll P17 Driver Resources.These 3 files,may be related to my new sound blaster titanium card,so not sure,only first one i knew was there before,for sure.So if u think i should only rename first original startup file,than if no issues,delete it.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I would rename any you are not sure of, then after a couple reboots and you have ensured all your programs work fine, then you can go back and delete.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
thanks for your help,i'll try renaming,one i know is