Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply

sgeva2001

sgeva2001

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have win 7 ULTIMATE 64 BIT.
When I open Windows Explorer and select more then a few files , its stop showing dynamically the total size.
How I can change it , so it will always show the the total size of all files selected?

thank you

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Not seeing the problem here. How are you selecting them? And note if you include a folder with those files, you will not get a running total.

sgeva2001

sgeva2001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I select by moving the mouse and in the same time press "shift".
At first I see the total at the bottom of Windows Explorer but the total disappear after I choose more then a few files.
I have to press some thing else at the bottom and this spoil some times the list of files which are selected.
I do not add a folder in the selected files

Edited by sgeva2001, 27 January 2012 - 11:41 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Using the shift key select all items between your start and end points and maybe you are selecting a folder too. Then it won't work. You might try holding the Ctrl to select/deselect multiple files independently.

sgeva2001

sgeva2001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I checked again
No folder only files.
till 15 files it show : 15 files selected and size xxx
When I select more then 15 files it show : 16 items selected, the size display disappear and instead appear a line "show more details" which I have to press if I want to see the total size for more files.

AceInfinity

AceInfinity

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 34 posts
  • MVP

I checked again
No folder only files.
When I select more then 15 files it show : 16 items selected, the size display disappear and instead appear a line "show more details" which I have to press if I want to see the total size for more files.

That's completely normal, nothing to worry about in that case. If you want it different, that would require some kind of system modification through explorer. The reason that shows up is to save time from having selected a bunch of files and having to calculate the filesize each time that large selection changes.

If you want to preview the filesize of a selected number of files, right click > Properties, and you'll see various information in the window that pops up.

Edited by AceInfinity, 27 January 2012 - 06:19 PM.

sgeva2001

sgeva2001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That is the problem I need help.
How to change/modify the system so it will always calculate the file size each time.
As for example TOTAL COMMANDER is doing.

AceInfinity

AceInfinity

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 34 posts
  • MVP

That is the problem I need help.
How to change/modify the system so it will always calculate the file size each time.
As for example TOTAL COMMANDER is doing.

"TOTAL COMMANDER"? :confused:

I know what you meant, but the reason why i'm asking why you want to do that is because it will probably slow things down for no reason if you're just selecting a bunch of files to delete or move them around. Because it's calculating the total filesize whether you want to view that statistic or not, every single time you mass select files.

Just wondering why you wouldn't try to save some CPU...

Edited by AceInfinity, 28 January 2012 - 05:33 AM.

sgeva2001

sgeva2001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
1. I need to move audio files to my mp3 portable player -- sansa disk plus.
This player has a problem that if you transfer more then its full size (2 G in my case) it make him "crazy".
So I need to know how much I select for moving to him.
2. Beside I have another portable mp3 player from IAUDIO with 32 G and very good and no problems.
But here the problem is WIN7.
WIN7 does not move files before it check how much you have in the target.
I have 300 g of audio files in my PC. in XP it was easy -- I simply select all 300 g and make a move command . XP does not check and move as much as is possible and when the player is full you get a pop up window which ask you what to do next.
But WIN7 does not allow it ( petty ) to start at all, only if you select less then 32 g.

This are the 2 reasons I need it.
If you have a solution for second problem by removing the WIN7 check , it will also help me partially.
Beside I have a strong PC.

thank you
Shaul

Edited by sgeva2001, 28 January 2012 - 06:32 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I checked again
No folder only files.

Okay, I just confirmed on my system that that is how it works. So, I suspect you are correct and that 15 limit is set in the Registry somewhere.

However, there is an easy workaround. When you have your 20 or 30 files selected/highlighted, right click on one of them and select properties. It will then show you how many files you have selected, and their total size.

sgeva2001

sgeva2001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have to select much more files. in the range 50-400
another point is that i have to do it after I add more files to the selected one because I have to check the total size ,not to pass the limit of 2g or 32 g.
So it causing much work and time and even mistakes and I have to repeat the process from the start for many times.
How I change the limit in the Registry or disable it all together?

Edited by sgeva2001, 28 January 2012 - 08:33 AM.

AceInfinity

AceInfinity

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 34 posts
  • MVP
I think what you might be looking for is this?

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

This enables the view for stats such as filesize (total) when more than 15 items are selected in explorerview.

I haven't seen of any other way as of yet, but this was posted on SevenForums.

Edit: The only downside is that you will have an older style of the start menu with less links. Take a look:
http://sourceforge.n...s/classicshell/

But i'm sure it's a registry value somewhere as mentioned by Digerati. Just wouldn't be sure where that's located.

Edited by AceInfinity, 29 January 2012 - 06:01 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I don't think there is an easy solution for this. Moving such large number of files at once is not a common task. Even in your case, it seems like this is a one time event.

Your problem is not with Windows but the limitation of your destination drive. If you will be doing this often, then I suggest you take the time to totally reorganize your source files into subfolders that contain files that total no more than your destination device will hold. A real pain, I am sure, but once done, it will be done. And when you get new files, you can organize them as you go.