Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezing

• Please log in to reply

icee

icee

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hello,

I have had some issues with my computer for a while and am hoping to get some help on what could be causing the issue. I'm not sure if this is the correct place, but I thought I'd start here. My computer will randomly freeze, mainly when I am watching livestreams or in the loading/lobby of games (champion select in league of legends, sometimes loading screen of other games but oddly enough it has never crashed while I'm actually in a game). It seems to be happening more frequently recently (multiple times a day). When it freezes, sometimes there will be loud popping/scratching/metallic noises coming from my headphones, other times it will be a low repetitive buzzing sound or no sound at all. I have updated my video card & motherboard drivers, replaced my power supply, ran windows memory test with no problems but still have the issue. Below are my computer specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Intel Core i5 750
Gigabyte P55A-UD3
Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2x2 GB
Nvidia GeForce GTS 250
CORSAIR Gaming Series GS600 600W ATX12V

This is the error I see what I run event viewer:

Source: Kernel-Power
Event ID: 41
Level: Critical
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2012-01-28T17:21:56.952018400Z

EventRecordID 116176

The previous system shutdown at 12:00:57 PM on ‎1/‎28/‎2012 was unexpected.

System

- Provider

[ Name] EventLog

- EventID 6008

[ Qualifiers] 32768

Level 2

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2012-01-28T18:01:56.000000000Z

Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Wininit
[ Guid] {206F6DEA-D3C5-4D10-BC72-989F03C8B84B}

EventID 11

Version 0

Level 3

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x4000000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2012-01-28T18:02:03.909248200Z

Any help on this is very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jon

Edited by icee, 28 January 2012 - 12:20 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

In Windows7 open Computer - previously My Computer and on the left hand pane you will see Libraries - by default, Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos. The actual files are not stored in the Libraries they are in the User folder in Documents etc.
Have you added addtional LIBRARIES.

2. That said the cause of that event report may well be the more concerning issue reported on a Level 1 Warning
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly

3. Please download and run this it is a very useful way to read crash dumps
http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
Clcik the analyse tab please and then follow the instructions to scroll down for the results and then copy and paste please the actual report, to your reply.
Please send it as that, not as a file that I have to open.

4. Check your temperatures please in BIOS by entering setup at boot.
Also please download this
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
and the information we are looking for is

Posted Image

Please send that as a screenshot.
That is Prt Scrn key
Programs
Accessories
Paint
Click edit tab
click Paste
File tab and Save As
Select JPEG pls for file type (Bitmap is too large)
Then on reply Use full editor and attach.

5. In respect of the noise through the headphones, are they connected to the front audio, the speakers if a desktop or where. Is the sound also audible through the speakers, when not using the headphones.
MORE IMPORTANTLY, as you have obviously been in the case, take the panel off and IS the SOUND then audible simply by listening. CHECK the HDD that is one favourite, the CPU and any other case fans - those are also likely AND of course check the fans are running.

6. When you check the temps in the BIOS - if there is a setting for temp alarm using the system speaker in the case, if there is one, set that alarm on. If it is not already so set.

We will be better placed to go further when you have the Who Crashed report and the speedfan results.

When you have done this boot to Safe Mode with Networking on the F8 key and see if under the same conditions you still experience the problems.

7. There are 2011 drivers for that board for Realtek audio and LAN for 64 bit 7
http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=3439#dl
I do not think it is a driver issue, but please check your versions
Note that link is for revision2. Check your version
That is NOT the BIOS that is the version of the board.
Lower left hand corner on the Gigabyte board - when looking with ram slots located top right

icee

icee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi Macboatmaster, thanks for your reply.

1. I do not have any additional folders in the libraries directory besides the default four. Within the documents folder I do have some folders.

3. Here are the logs from whocrashed. Some of them seem old but I will post all of them.

On Sun 1/15/2012 9:27:05 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011512-15912-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC40)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0xB, 0x1, 0xFFFFF88002E5A3E1)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 7/2/2010 4:09:18 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\070110-19843-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x70600)
Bugcheck code: 0x3D (0xFFFFF88002F8B1D0, 0x0, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002CCC1F4)
Error: INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This bug check appears very infrequently.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 7/2/2010 4:09:18 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x3D (0xFFFFF88002F8B1D0, 0x0, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002CCC1F4)
Error: INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This bug check appears very infrequently.

On Wed 5/26/2010 3:29:58 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052510-19359-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA0 (0xB, 0xBFC9E000, 0x3, 0x1B8CA000)
Error: INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the power policy manager experienced a fatal error.
This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.

On Mon 5/24/2010 12:42:45 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052310-18486-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA0 (0xB, 0xBFC9E000, 0x3, 0x1F817000)
Error: INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the power policy manager experienced a fatal error.
This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.

4. Attached is the screenshot of speedfan. This was taken when I was not running any programs. I connect some fans directly to the power supply so I believe those are not being picked up.

5. My headphones are hooked up to the back of the computer to the on-board motherboard sound card. When my computer freezes again I will check for the sounds on the HDD and the fans and post an update. I don't have speakers and only headphones, I will have to get some to test.

6. The alarm should be set currently.

7. I have updated both LAN and sound drivers to the most updated one.

Thanks for your assistance,

Jon

Attached Thumbnails

• fan pic.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Two matters come to mind, whilst I look at your last post in detail

1. Do not be offended because I do not know your level of knowledge.
The graphics card has its own power connector supply direct from the PSU on a 6 pin - its connected is it. - rather than simply relying on the power across the PCI bus.

2. Check the voltages in setup. Speedfan can not always be relied on - but the 12v seems unduly way out of expectations.
Is that PSU a known good in otherwords a new.
Corsair are usually VERY reliable.
Is it connected to an anti=surge bar if so connect direct to AC sometimes the anti-surge bar can, especially if it has taken a surge fail to deliver the full AC voltage.

I will come back to you shortly.

One last question for now HAVE YOU overclocked.?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have had a quick look - look at the last two crash reports from your post.
Thermal issue

That with the voltage discrepancy although NOT shown on speedfan at the moment suggests to me an overheating issue.

That of course may be due to the PSU, or to overclocking.
Have you removed the CPU cooler - I am not suggesting you do - but if you have did you clean off and apply new thermal paste/compound ?
Please check as asked and please DO check those fans.

icee

icee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks again for responding.

1. Yes, I have the 6 pin connected to the video card.

2. I have checked the voltages in the BIOS, below are the readings

Vcore: 1.204
DDR15V: 1.584
+5V: 5.082
+12V: 12.302

3. I have not overclocked the CPU, however I had previously manually adjusted the memory to be at 1600 vs. the default 1333. I have changed all my bios settings back to default and will let you know if the freezing stops.

4. I have once checked the cpu and reapplied new thermal paste, however that was about a year ago. I have not done so since.

5. I originally had an Apevia 700W power supply, however due to advice from other people I replaced it with the Corsair 600W (bought new ~6 months ago). I have had the same issues with both power supplies.

6. It may be due to overheating, however the only issue is that I seem to freeze when I'm not running a lot of programs/test. I have run stress tests on my computer before and it seems to work fine, however when I do simple things like watch livestreams it seems to crash.

7. I have check all the fans and they seem to be working properly.

I will continue to test on the lower memory settings to see if the issue comes up again and post the logs if they do. It is difficult to exactly reproduce since it seems like it happens sitting in loading screens or watching streams instead of stress tests. It is currently connected to a surge protector and I can try your advice of plugging it directly to the outlet as well to see if I still have issues with that.

Thanks,

Jon

Edited by icee, 28 January 2012 - 04:04 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I would do the following.

1. I would see how you go on, with ram back to default.

2 I would download this and have it ready and next time it crashes I would take OUT one stick of ram amd run MEMTEST on one full cycle of 8 TESTS.
I would then replace that ONE stick with the other, so you still only have one stick in and run it again. OR you could run it now, but I do not reaaly think it is a ram issue, it is just to eliminate it.
http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/
The guide is comprehensive with images.

3. The voltages in the setup are obviously far more acceptable than the supposed 12v reading from Speedfan
You will have noticed on speedfan that one of your sensors is -128C - that is a default reading when the sensor is NOT detected - or NOT there in the first place. - just in case you thought it was VERRRRRY COLD

4. I would run a chkdsk /r
That is computer, right click hard drive, properties, tools, error checking, check now and click to check the second box - check for bad sectors. Click start and agree to run on restart.
IT IS A five stage check, please DO NOT interrupt it.
When complete and the computer has rebooted go Control Panel, Administrative tools, Event Viewer, click on left pane windows log and then click application. On the right pane click find and type chkdsk.
Click Find next and then you can read the log.
The main important point is BAD sectors
the next point is file errors.
Here is a guide
http://www.sevenforu...viewer-log.html

5. I would run a system file check
Start - Windows button
type in search
cmd
when that appears at the top of the box right click and click run with administrative rights.
When the cmd window opens
type
sfc /scannow
Here is the guide to that
http://www.sevenforu...le-checker.html

6. In view of the fact that you say it is mainly when connected to the net, run the IE without add-ons
That is start
programs
accessories
system tools
Internet Explorer NO add-ons.

If that solves it you will then start IE normally and click Tools then Manage Add-ons and disable, then enable one at at time.

7. I would if all this fails check the full event veiwer and see if we can get another clue from there.
Here is how

Please follow this guidance for event viewer.

Change the dates please to as required to cover the problem

• Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
  • Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) say a week ago pls. ALTER these to suit the circumstances of course.
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 14.03.2011
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
NOTE ON the first run select ERROR only otherwise you will be swamped.

IF you still have the problem by the time you reach my item 7, please post details and the log for event viewer.

Either way, please do keep me posted there are a LOT more tests we can do, but as you say the transient defect is always more difficult to solve than the one that is present when wer are trying.

Finally
There is ONE more matter that comes to mind.
I am on a Gigabyte M/B here on 7 professional but 32 bit.
Gigabyte recommend a northbridge chip cooling fan, in fact there is a header for it on the board.
I do NOT need it, as I only use the onboard graphics chip, I am not a graphics man and my case has a front and rear fan
HOWEVER with that graphics card of yours so close to the N/B chip although the card has its own fan it is worth checking your M/B manual if you DO NOT have the N/B fan and see if it is recommended.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have posted separately so you do ot miss it

Item 6 your post 3.

6. The alarm should be set currently.

NOT NECESSARILY - default settings are disabled

icee

icee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thank you again, I just was able to replicate the error with my memory settings back to default and am in the middle of going through all your steps.

4. Here is the Chkdsk log:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
320000 file records processed. File verification completed.
1051 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 2 EA records processed. 76 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
379016 index entries processed. Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
320000 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 1711 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1711 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1711 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
29509 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
35545440 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
319984 files processed. File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
86808381 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

511999550 KB total disk space.
164249152 KB in 119212 files.
78300 KB in 29510 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
438570 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
347233528 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
127999887 total allocation units on disk.
86808382 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 e2 04 00 fd 44 02 00 91 39 04 00 00 00 00 00 .....D...9......
e4 35 00 00 4c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .5..L...........
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

6. I don't think it is a browser issue as it happens during game loading screens as well when I don't have a browser open at all.

8. "NOT NECESSARILY - default settings are disabled" I meant to say that I had changed the default to have the alarm. When I froze there was no alarm noise.

2. Place holder. Currently running test now

7. Place holder.

Edited by icee, 28 January 2012 - 07:49 PM.

icee

icee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
5. Attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try this please
http://uk.download.n...tional-whql.exe

IF YOU HAVE 285.62 then go back to 275.33 If it does not stay on the download link you want the 275.33 on archived drivers.
There are quite a few reports of the later driver causing problems, please check what you have now.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE 285.62 but ONE of the earlier drivers then update to 285.62 download that from here
http://uk.geforce.co...s/results/38978

You cannot simply install that driver, you MUST follow the procedure shown here.

http://support.micro....com/kb/2278714
basically that is uninstall in add/remove programs - not device manager otherwise as soon as you reboot it will simply reinstall the same driver.
YOU may notice that Nvidia say this is no longer required you can simply overinstall - that is NOT my experience.
HOWEVER if you prefer you could try this method

*fill the info about the graphic card(GTS 250 I do not know about any other card with a similar problem)
*Instead of pressing "Search" look down a little and click on "Beta and Older Drivers "
*at the new screen that opened make sure all the data about the card stays the same and at the bottom right corner "Recommended/Beta:-> ALL"
*it will now give you the full driver list. the driver you gonna need is "GeForce 280.26 Driver" download it and start installing(no need to delete the driver you have on)
*at the installation choose "Custom (Advanced)" ->Next->Make sure you tag the box -"perform a clean installation"

STILL take note of this from Nvidia.
http://us.download.n...lease-Notes.pdf
please see page 47

I appreciate this post is a little confusing but I cannot make it any less detailed.
If you need it does this help

1. IF YOU HAVE the latest driver version 285.62 go back to 275.33
2. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE the latest then update to 285.62.

Perhaps this may illustrate the problems people have been having.
http://forums.nvidia...howtopic=213862

There is as you will have seen nothing wrong with the chkdsk, what you see there are the usual expected results and of course there is nkthing wrong with the system file check as you of course know.

icee

icee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hello,

I ran the memtest with all the scenarios (1st stick in 1st slot, 2nd stick in 1st slot, 1st stick in 2nd slot, and 2nd stick in 2nd slot) and they all passed.

I also had the power cord directly connected to an outlet instead of the surge protector and still had a crash.

Below is the results for the Event Viewer Tool.

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows 2008 in English
Report run at 29/01/2012 11:25:04 AM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - Critical Type
'Application' Log - Error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 5:13:57 PM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 3011 Source: Microsoft-Windows-LoadPerf
Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the error code.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 5:13:57 PM
Event: 3012 Source: Microsoft-Windows-LoadPerf
The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process Performance extension counter provider. The BaseIndex value from the Performance registry is the first DWORD in the Data section, LastCounter value is the second DWORD in the Data section, and LastHelp value is the third DWORD in the Data section.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 1:15:39 AM
Event: 72 Source: SideBySide
Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files\microsoft security client\MSESysprep.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\program files\microsoft security client\MSESysprep.dll" on line 10. The element imaging appears as a child of element urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1^assembly which is not supported by this version of Windows.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 1:14:19 AM
Event: 75 Source: SideBySide
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPluginBroker.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPluginBroker.exe" on line 2. Multiple requestedPrivileges elements are not allowed in manifest.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 12:34:44 AM
Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the error code.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 12:34:44 AM
The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process Performance extension counter provider. The BaseIndex value from the Performance registry is the first DWORD in the Data section, LastCounter value is the second DWORD in the Data section, and LastHelp value is the third DWORD in the Data section.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 12:22:14 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 12:22:14 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 28/01/2012 10:34:26 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 28/01/2012 10:34:26 PM

'System' Log - Critical Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 5:24:15 PM
Type: Critical Category: 63
Event: 41 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 28/01/2012 10:30:00 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 28/01/2012 7:42:51 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 28/01/2012 6:01:48 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 28/01/2012 5:21:56 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 28/01/2012 4:12:00 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 26/01/2012 1:00:40 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 21/01/2012 2:42:02 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 15/01/2012 9:28:01 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 15/01/2012 7:18:14 AM

'System' Log - Error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 5:24:53 PM
Event: 3002 Source: Microsoft Antimalware
Microsoft Antimalware Real-Time Protection feature has encountered an error and failed. Feature: Behavior Monitoring Error Code: 0x80004005 Error description: Unspecified error Reason: The filter driver requires an up-to-date engine in order to function. You must install the latest definition updates in order to enable real-time protection.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 5:24:25 PM
Event: 6008 Source: EventLog
The previous system shutdown at 11:23:18 AM on ?1/?29/?2012 was unexpected.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 5:09:37 PM
Microsoft Antimalware Real-Time Protection feature has encountered an error and failed. Feature: Behavior Monitoring Error Code: 0x80004005 Error description: Unspecified error Reason: The filter driver requires an up-to-date engine in order to function. You must install the latest definition updates in order to enable real-time protection.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 5:06:06 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 4:50:36 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 4:34:14 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 3:52:17 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 4:37:35 AM
Event: 8003 Source: bowser
The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer BRAD_XPS_8100 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{D02BBAA6-E121-4B66-A8BC-D4A0BD48BD75}. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 4:13:35 AM
The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer BRAD_XPS_8100 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{D02BBAA6-E121-4B66-A8BC-D4A0BD48BD75}. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 3:37:37 AM

I will roll-back the graphics driver as you suggested and try again. I appreciate all the help so far, this issue has been a tough one for me and has been ongoing for a while.

Thanks,

Jon

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Your log and I have only had a quick look in the last few minutes raises some serious concerns

Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files\microsoft security client\MSESysprep.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\program files\microsoft security client\MSESysprep.dll" on line 10. The element imaging appears as a child of element urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1^assembly which is not supported by this version of Windows.

and it appears there MAY be concerns regarding the state of some of the registry

My questions are:
1. What protection by way of Anti-virus do you have and if it IS Microsoft Security Essentials - is it ON and green icon on the notifications area of the taskbar. when you open it is REAL time protection turned on.

2. Can you access, BUT not necessarily to use System Restore.

3. When you open a browser does it go to your normal home page or has that been changed.

4. Is this computer part of a home network and which is the Dell XPS 8100

icee

icee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
1. Yes I have Microsoft Security Essentials and all the indications are green. The real-time protection is on and my virus is up-to-date.

2. I have not tried to use System Restore. Should I use it to see if it is working?

3. My browser goes to my homepage.

4. I believe that is my roommate's computer. I am a part of the home network.

Regarding your concern about the registry, is there something I can do about it?

Thanks,

Jon

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Just go to system restore please and see if you CAN access it and if you have restore points there is no need to USE one.

2. I believe it wouild be best to address that graphics issue. PLEASE do NOT simply roll back driver.
For the reason that if the driver you are rolling back to is corrupt it will do no good.
Follow the advice please
Check which you have and then either update to the latest on the link I have provided or go back to the earlier one on the link I have provided.
It is is not COMPLICATED but you need to read what I have sent you, both from Nvidia and from Microsoft.

If you have the earlier driver you can after following the Nvidia advice on page 47 -install the driver, following the advice re the

*fill the info about the graphic card(GTS 250 I do not know about any other card with a similar problem)
*Instead of pressing "Search" look down a little and click on "Beta and Older Drivers "
*at the new screen that opened make sure all the data about the card stays the same and at the bottom right corner "Recommended/Beta:-> ALL"
*it will now give you the full driver list. the driver you gonna need is "GeForce 280.26 Driver" download it and start installing(no need to delete the driver you have on)
*at the installation choose "Custom (Advanced)" ->Next->Make sure you tag the box -"perform a clean installation

If you have the latest and are going back to the earlier you are advised to follow the advice re the uninstall