Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezing

• Please log in to reply

icee

icee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yes, I did the clean uninstall then installed the 275.33 driver but I still had a crash :(. I have drive sweeper, should I try that? Here is the event viewer log.

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows 2008 in English
Report run at 29/01/2012 3:18:57 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - Critical Type
'Application' Log - Error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 8:51:14 PM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 3011 Source: Microsoft-Windows-LoadPerf
Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the error code.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 8:51:14 PM
Event: 3012 Source: Microsoft-Windows-LoadPerf
The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process Performance extension counter provider. The BaseIndex value from the Performance registry is the first DWORD in the Data section, LastCounter value is the second DWORD in the Data section, and LastHelp value is the third DWORD in the Data section.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 5:51:40 PM
Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the error code.

'System' Log - Critical Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 8:44:56 PM
Type: Critical Category: 63
Event: 41 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 5:24:15 PM
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 28/01/2012 10:30:00 PM

'System' Log - Error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 8:45:36 PM
Event: 3002 Source: Microsoft Antimalware
Microsoft Antimalware Real-Time Protection feature has encountered an error and failed. Feature: Behavior Monitoring Error Code: 0x80004005 Error description: Unspecified error Reason: The filter driver requires an up-to-date engine in order to function. You must install the latest definition updates in order to enable real-time protection.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 8:45:07 PM
Event: 6008 Source: EventLog
The previous system shutdown at 2:43:37 PM on ?1/?29/?2012 was unexpected.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 7:00:01 PM
Event: 1 Source: VDS Basic Provider
Unexpected failure. Error code: 490@01010004

Is it hardware issues?

Thanks,

Jon

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The error regarding the Microsoft Security Essentials is generally thought to be either
1. Fragments of another A/V program are still installed. Your computer having a Gigabyte motherboard , on the Motherboard install CD included a 30 day trial of Norton.
If you installed that - it is NOT automatically installed, then that OR some other anti-virus program you had and did not use the REMOVAL tool, but simply uninstalled in Add/remove programs, MAY be the cause of that mesage.
There are two schools of thought on this it appears
a. It is not a problem and can be ignored - providing YOU ARE 100% certain that the MSSE is not disabled from time to time
b. IF the situation at 1 does not prevail, then something is wrong with the definitions for MSSE and you should UNINSTALL and then download and install again from Microsoft.

2. The SKYPE error report is usually rectified apparently by the install of the latest SKYPE plug-in - that is the fourth entry in your log on post 12.

3. Regarding the Master browser
There is a difference between YOU and your roommate using the same modem/router

OR you and your roommate being the computers on a home network on which file sharing etc is allowed - in otherwords - as here.

http://windows.micro...-a-home-network

Where you and your roommates computer CAN talk to each other as below.

IF all of the computers and devices are connected and working properly. then when you Click the Start button , and then click Network. You should be able to see icons for the computer you are on and all of the other computers and devices that you have added to the network. If the computer you are checking has a printer attached, the printer icon might not be visible on other computers until you enable printer sharing.

and the simple connection to the same modem/router where each computer is simply using the same wireless network broadcast from the router.

WHICH setup is yours please

The number of errors and particularly the

are without doubt a cause for concern. Sooner or later the system is going to shut down whilst a critical portion of the files on the HDD are being written to. For instance the MFT master File Table or the registry is being written to and then there is always the chance that you will be in a recovery situation.

IN SUMMARY - sort out the graphics driver please lets see how we are doing and then we can review the situation and I will seek advice from other members of GeekstoGo if necessary

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
In reply to your 16.
NO to Drive sweeper

Which graphics driver did you have please?

Clean boot it and see if still crashes.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

NOTE PLEASE the caution regarding restore points - DO NOT disable Microsoft services.
and check please on rebooting that your MSSE protection is working.

icee

icee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I did a clean uninstall and followed your steps to uninstall 285.62 and install 275.33. The crash and logs were after I did those steps. I am currently on the 275.33 driver.

Regarding your question about the network, when I go to "Network" I can see both of our computers on the network. I just moved 2 months ago and had these issues when I was on my own network as well.

I have never seen my Microsoft Security Essentials being disabled from time to time, but I will uninstall and reinstall just in case. I had these issues when I was on AVG as well, so I do not believe that it is an issue with the anti-virus, however I will take the extra precaution and follow your advice.

Also, answering a prior question I can access the system restore point.

I will run the clean boot and let you know the results.

Thanks again for your help,

Jon

Edited by icee, 29 January 2012 - 06:51 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1.Please may I just say that you are great to work with and I was ONLY just wishing to check that you HAD latest driver the 285.62 and had not gone back from another to 275.33
There have been as I sent you many issues with Nvidia graphics drivers.
In fairness, most of them have turned out to be other problems, such as some other program that caused a clash with the graphics driver.

2. I would NOT think that it is MSSE in view of what you say and referring as well to my post 17.

3. HOW long have you had the problems for please ?

4. Does the crash ONLY occur in the conditions you described AND do you know what you were doing when the reboot occured at 5.24pm and 8.44pm 29 - just yesterday evening.

5 I had these issues when I was on AVG - HOW PLEASE did you uninstall AVG - that is not a trick question did you use the AVG removal tool or simply the Control panel Add/Remove programs

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
IF in Clean boot it still crashes, then please return to normal boot - HOW is in the link

Go Control Panel and follow the advice here please

http://windows.micro...ting-in-Windows

depending on your edition of Windows 7 it is either System and Security or straight to troubleshooting.
Clcik on the entry approrpaite and then click on the entry Hardware and Sound and then click on hardware devices.
Whilst in Troubleshooting I suggest you explore all the possibilities.

IF that does not help please do this
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.
ALSO you are recommended NOT to run any of the other free tests on OFFER

I am signing off Goodnight - back about 1700hrs UK time it is now 0126

icee

icee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks again for all your help so far. I appreciate you taking the time to help look into this for me and all your assistance.

1. Yes, I was previously running 285.62 prior to uninstalling and installing 275.33.

3. I've had this problem off and on for about a year and a half (since I built the computer). When I originally built the computer I did a clean install of windows xp and did not observe these issues, but with windows 7 64 bit I have had these problems. I am not sure if it is related to windows 7 or if it is because it was hard to replicate the issue and it was a coincidence that I wasn't having issues with xp. Before it would only be an issue once a week or once every two weeks because I wouldn't be able to replicate it, however I believe now that I have a better understanding of what tasks I do that consistently cause the issue.

4. As of now, I only see the freezes when I am watching certain streams (never crashed watching youtube) or in load screens (champion select of league of legends). I have never had a crash while I am actually playing any games, working on files or doing anything else of yet.

5. I'm sorry but I cannot for sure remember which way I removed it. I believe I looked for the AVG uninstaller, but I may have not found it and did add/remove program.

I just had a crash with the clean boot and for the first time my computer (not through the headphones) made a high pitch long beep sound. Is that the overheating alarm? I can look to buy a new heatsink/fan & reapply the thermal paste, however I am not able to replicate the error with pure processing power alone, it is due to the specific scenario I described earlier that causes the freezes. Right now I'm hearing some strange beeping every once in a while from the computer, but my speedfan is showing ~41C GPU as the highest. Below is the event viewer log:

Report run at 29/01/2012 7:10:48 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 30/01/2012 1:07:39 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 30/01/2012 1:07:39 AM
The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process Performance extension counter provider. The BaseIndex value from the Performance registry is the first DWORD in the Data section, LastCounter value is the second DWORD in the Data section, and LastHelp value is the third DWORD in the Data section.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 30/01/2012 12:44:55 AM
Unloading the performance counter strings for service Network Inspection System (Network Inspection System) failed. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the error code.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 30/01/2012 1:09:30 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 9:22:45 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/01/2012 8:44:56 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 30/01/2012 1:10:07 AM
Microsoft Antimalware Real-Time Protection feature has encountered an error and failed. Feature: Behavior Monitoring Error Code: 0x80004005 Error description: Unspecified error Reason: The filter driver requires an up-to-date engine in order to function. You must install the latest definition updates in order to enable real-time protection.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 30/01/2012 1:09:45 AM
The previous system shutdown at 7:08:43 PM on ?1/?29/?2012 was unexpected.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 30/01/2012 1:03:20 AM

Below is the results of my pc pitstop test:

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24772170

Thanks,

Jon

Edited by icee, 29 January 2012 - 07:53 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I was just going, did you see my previous about signing off.

However I thought I would quickly reply

1. YES I think it wil be the overheat alarm - you would have to check the manual for the M/B - I think I have sent you the link have I not

2. I would BACKUP NOW anything you cannot reinstall

3. Have you assured yourself that all hardware - drivers and programs are for the 64 bit windows.

I will post further when I return

Quickly
You have this installed
CPUID HWMonitor 1.165/21/10

Run it and get a comparison on the temps with Speedfan

icee

icee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yes, I saw you were logging off. I was meaning for you to have my response when you got back tomorrow, sorry for keeping you here.

1. My manual has different codes for the power on self test, but doesn't mention what beeping noises mean when the computer is running.

3. Whenever I download drivers I ensure it is windows 7 64 bit. Is there a way to see if there are any old drivers that may have been pre-installed that are not windows 7 64 bit compatible?

Attached is the cpu hw monitor readings. I replicated the situation when I usually have the crashes so the temperatures should be close to those when I experience the freezing.

Thank you again, I hope you have a good night and look forward to your advice.

Jon

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Edited by icee, 29 January 2012 - 08:29 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well according to your last screenshot I do NOT think it is a thermal issue on the CPU

http://ark.intel.com...-Cache-2_66-GHz)

The TCase temp of that on the above link is 72.7C and the core temps on your screenshot of the four cores are shown max. in a range 44 to 49c

Core temps should generally be below BUT certainly no more than a FEW degress above Thermal specification.

On average, the temperature of the heatspreader is about 10-20C lower than that of the cores. This varies from CPU to CPU depending upon solder. So if the thermal specification of a CPU is 71C, the cores would have to be running at 81C before you would reach the thermal specification.

SO thermal specification is the maximum temp there should be at the centre of the heatsink.
In short, it appears the issue is not the cooling of the CPU
I WOULD HOWEVER monitor those temps and I would use CPUID again so that you know what readings you have obtained previously for comparison.

Please try disconnecting all external components - printer, web cam, external drive, etc. See how it is then please.

If it still crashes reconnect ALL and then boot to Advanced boot options and select VGA mode LOW Resolution Video - that is NOT the same as Safe Mode, see if still crashes.

IF the crash is restricted to Leasgue Of Legends and does NOT occur when generic Windows applications only are running then although I do not normally believe the installation of BETA drivers is a good idea, AND I know absolutely nothing about gaming. In view of wehat I have read I suggest you try this
http://uk.geforce.co...s/results/39288

That driver is reported as a possible fix.

and see this - I had no idea how common the problem is
http://na.leagueofle...d.php?t=1437121

Advertisements

icee

icee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok, I tried unplugging all external components (only had a printer hooked up) and had the same issue. I tried using the VGA mode low resolution mode but the resolution was too small and I couldn't the entire screen for my games and browser so I instead tried booting in normal mode and manually adjusting to the lowest resolution (800x600) and was still able to replicate the crash. I can only replicate the crash under two circumstances, playing league of legends or another game (only in a certain portion of the selection screen or log-in screen, never had a crash while actually in the game) or watching specific internet videos (can watch dvds, youtube & non-videos just fine. Was able to replicate a crash today watching a vod of a gaming video site called honcast, possibly due to hd video?).

I apologize for all the gaming references as I know you are not a gamer. I find it strange that I am not able to consistently replicate the computer freezing under any other circumstance. Is there a place where I can test my video card under different scenarios to see if I have a video card hardware problem? Or possibly test my sound card? I am willing to try the beta video card driver if you request me to, however my crashes are not restricted to one single program. I have also experienced the crashes under 3 different video card drivers so far.

I want to thank you again for all the help so far and your patience. I've had this issue off and on since I built this computer. From what I remember I've tried reformatting (within the first month of testing when I noticed a problem, I haven't reformatted recently) and replacing power supplies. I've tested my memory with memtest and each individual stick and slot passed, but should I try replicating the error with just 1 memory stick in? Would I have to revert back to Windows XP to see if the issue disappears?

Thanks,

Jon

Edited by icee, 30 January 2012 - 09:55 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That aspect of the crash in a certain section of the log-in screen is the particular matter dealt with in that link to the game forum I sent you.
I do NOT understand exactly at which point you use the procedure but the solution is according to the link to use the Alt and tab key.
http://na.leagueofle...ead.php?t=52018

Another possible cause was other programs running at startup.
From Pitstop I see you have
Pando Media Booster
I would go msconfig and start tab. I would then, if it is checked uncheck Pando Media Booster and stop it starting.
Clcik Apply and Ok and then exit out.
On reboot click to check the small box Do not show this message again.

Another frequently mentioned solution is to update/reinstall DirectX
http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35

A NEW DIrectX 11 has been released - DirectX is widely reported as the problem. I recommend you try it. You will need to follow the advice to ascertain sutiability for your graphics card.
http://windows.micro...ures/directx-11

I do not suggest it is the time to do this NOW - but you may wish to consider this which is XP within Windows 7.
http://windows.micro...de-in-windows-7

I KNOW that I said I did not think it was a temperature issue but HOW many fans do you have
CPU
GPU fan on card
and which others please.

icee

icee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi, I looked for the Pando Media Booster in the msconfig start-up but did not see it. I did stop some Canon printer software from starting though, I don't believe that will make much of a difference.

I already have DirectX 11 installed and when I run the dxwebsetup it says I already have the newest version installed. Should I uninstall and reinstall?

Also I just had a BSOD while web browsing (not watching video or playing games) :(. It was a very quick BSOD before it automatically restarted and I wasn't able to get any of the text. This has happened a couple times before months ago, but I was never able to replicate it. Here are the event viewer logs

Report run at 31/01/2012 7:12:00 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 01/02/2012 12:38:07 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 01/02/2012 12:38:07 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 31/01/2012 3:31:31 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/02/2012 1:10:34 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 31/01/2012 3:26:55 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 31/01/2012 3:23:59 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/02/2012 1:10:44 AM
Event: 1001 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001e (0xffffffffc000001d, 0xfffff88004a6239e, 0x0000000000000002, 0xfffff80002ffb800). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\Minidump\013112-20108-01.dmp. Report Id: 013112-20108-01.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/02/2012 1:10:43 AM
The previous system shutdown at 7:09:26 PM on ?1/?31/?2012 was unexpected.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 31/01/2012 3:27:46 AM

I have the minidump log attached.

Regarding your last question I have 1 heatsink & CPU fan, 1 attached GPU fan and 3 case fans (one 120mm in the back, one 80mm on the side and one 80mm in the front.)

Thanks,

Jon

Attached Files

Edited by icee, 31 January 2012 - 07:32 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please take the side panel off.
LEAVE it off, if there is a case open alarm, disable it in BIOS

Run the computer - check please that ALL fans are working, depending on how you have them configured and connected - some will work at full speed continually from the PSU, some will work from the
M/B fan headers controlled by the setup. eg high speed low speed etc as required by the system temperatures.

Re the MiniDump attached please send by open file - copy and paste from Who Crashed.

icee

icee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Here is the whocrashed report

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 2/1/2012 1:09:43 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013112-20108-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: usbhub.sys (usbhub+0x3339E)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC000001D, 0xFFFFF88004A6239E, 0x2, 0xFFFFF80002FFB800)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Default Hub Driver for USB
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 1/15/2012 9:27:05 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011512-15912-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC40)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0xB, 0x1, 0xFFFFF88002E5A3E1)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

Also I am confirming that all fans are working.

Thanks,

Jon