Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media player security update

• Please log in to reply

Ardent

Ardent

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I am trying to download books form an online library us Overdrive Media Console. It requires a security update to windows media player. When I go through the steps to do this its suppose to start windows media player. It doesn't . Next i went directly to the the player to see if I could download it there The only updates available are for the player itself and I have the latest version 12.07 so i can't download any security patches. I have looked though some of the responses here but the only one I saw was to update IE. I don't use I E but I do have the latest version of that too. How can I get this security update?

Advertisements

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

Do you get any error messages?

Can you check the event viewer (windows key + "R" -> eventvwr.msc) and look for any errors or warnings in the logs?

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I did try this process in IE ( which I don't like) and I was able to download a book, so it work ther but when i go to Firefox and log into this site
http://ncdl.lib.over.../en/Default.htm
I get a message saying that I need to download a security upgrade to window media player. I could do this in IE but it would be nice to be able to do this through Firefox.

Thanks for your help

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

You can get around things like that by making the site think that your browser is IE. Rather than a long technical post about how to change your user agent, I'll just post a link to a firefox plugin that can do the job for you... https://addons.mozil...x/addon/ie-tab/

While it's a great bit of software, there are some sites that use things that only IE has and using the above method wont work, but it's worth a shot.

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I like the idea but they don't make it for Firefox 10 and on top of that I can't do it in IE anymore, still getting that message saying I need a security update.

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I was able to download the fix in IE which in turn allowed me to download audio books in Firefox , thanks for your help

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

I'm glad it's all working for you now, and thank you for letting us know your solution.

lparisss

lparisss

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I hope this is what you are talking about

The suggestion I got did nothing. My OverDrive Media Consol would not update by click file and then upgrade. So, I went on the internet in search of a 2.5.0.1 upgrade. No such creature. But the website

http://drmlicense.on.../en/indivit.asp

was given to me to update my software. But the button was shadowed and I was unable to click on it to download. Well I finally found answer.

What you need to know and pass on to others having this problem is to go to http://drmlicense.on.../en/indivit.asp
as stated above.. Look at the toolbar and you will see a "broken or torn page" icon. Click on the broken page icon on the tool bar and the “upgrade” button will appear. Now you can upgrade!

I hope I have helped you,