Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE 8 won't open unless computer is restarted

• Please log in to reply

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Well Joe, I spoke too soon. I thought five days was long enough to test IE but this morning IE wouldn't finish loading.

It did the same thing that it was doing in the beginning. It appears to load, but the blue bar at the bottom of the screen flashes quickly and then I don't get anything but the address bar, etc at the top of the screen and the middle of the screen is white with the hour glass next to the cursor.

Could this be malware?

I really appreciate all of your effort in helping me with this. Is there anything else that I can try?

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Did we already try running IE7? I'm wondering if installing that and leaving it for a while would help. Let me know if you need assistance in doing that.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I tried running it. After I uninstalled IE8, IE6 was running, so you sent me a link to download IE7. I did that but I couldn't update it. MS had sent me a message that updates were ready for my computer. When I installed those updates, IE8 got reinstalled. So that's where I am now.

I will unistall IE8 today and try to get IE7 installed.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Ok. Let me know how that goes.

Joe :)

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Joe,

I've been running IE7 for about a week now. I am still experiencing the same problem, although not as often. I have noticed that some websites, like Facebook, depend on IE8 because it doesn't run as well with IE7.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Running out of ideas here. I'll review what we have done and ask others to chime in too.

Joe

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Joe,
I'd like to reinstall IE8. Lots of websites don't run well on IE7 and I haven't experienced any problems lately with it. What do you think? Should I reinstall IE8?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
First of all sorry for the delay here in responding to you.

Yes go ahead and try it.

Let me know how it goes.

Joe

Edited by zep516, 29 March 2012 - 11:27 AM.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Joe,

After reinstalling IE8, I am still having the same problem.

This morning rather than restarting the computer, I logged off. After logging back on, I was able to open IE8.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Maybe we should check for Malware now. Follow the directions http://www.geekstogo...leaning-guide/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Here

Joe

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi highland403,

Have you made any progress? Have you posted in the malware forum so someone can look at logs and see if they show anything that could be causing issues?

Joe

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Hi Joe,

Yes I'm making progress. I posted to the Malware forum but they didn't find any malware. That forum told me to post to the Windows XP, 2000, 2003 forum. Here is the link. http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

I'm back to using IE7 and have a couple of minor issues yet. I'm hoping that I can install IE8 soon.

Thanks for your help with this.

Steve

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
You're welcome Steve, I did see your posts to malware and the XP forum too after I had posted to you.

Good luck with it Steve.

Sorry we could not resolve it here!

Joe :)