Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Losing connection on Laptop

• Please log in to reply

AprilRain

AprilRain

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Please someone this is driving me insane :angry: ....

My problem is I keep losing my internet connection on my laptop every few minutes where the only way for me to reconnect is that I have to restart my laptop all over again. I have checked both my router and my modem and they work just fine. Even when I lose my connect, my laptop can still pick up the signal strenght in my home and it says its excellent. Even my desk top pc stays connected with no trouble. Is there anything that I can do about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Hi AprilRain :welcome:

Try and uninstall your wireless driver and reboot your machine.
To uninstall a device driver, complete the following steps:

1. Open the Computer Management Console by right-clicking My Computer on the Start menu and selecting Manage.
2. Select Device Manager in the left pane of the console. The Device Manager will then display a list of installed devices in the right pane of the console.
3. Expand the category of the device you wish to uninstall.
4. Right-click the device and select Properties.
5. Select the Driver tab on the device's Properties dialog box.
6. Click the Uninstall Driver button.
7. A new dialog box will pop up asking you to confirm the uninstall. Click OK to proceed.
8. Reboot the system to remove the device.

Can you Please download the program in the link below,run it and post the log it creates in your next reply.
http://www.softpedia...nload-6788.html
This program will tell me if you have the right driver installed.

AprilRain

AprilRain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello and Ty :)...

I've done what you said, I unistalled the driver and rebooted and then downloaded the Driver genius program as you suggested. However, Im not sure on where to find the log on the program so that I may post it. Could You please tell me where to find the log?

Also, I am noticing that my connection on my laptop goes out mainly during the evening hours where during the day I can pretty much stay connected on my laptop without any problems whatsoever. My desktops still stays connected no matter what.

Thanks again,
April

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Also, I am noticing that my connection on my laptop goes out mainly during the evening hours where during the day I can pretty much stay connected on my laptop without any problems whatsoever. My desktops still stays connected no matter what.

Do you have your wireless network password protected?

jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• Expert
  • 92 posts
  • MVP
Hi -

Let's get some system info on your wifi. Please be sure you are connected to the Internet via wifi.

Please run this WMI app that I wrote -
http://sysnative.com/0x8/netsh_lan_wlan_11-2011__jcgriff2_.exe

A Notepad will open. Save it as TXT file; zip it up and attach to your next post.

The output from my system -
http//sysnative.com/jcgriff2/jcgriff2_Wifi_Network_Info_02-25-2011.txt

What anti-virus/ firewall are you using?

Is the Internet connection constant via Ethernet?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

Edited by jcgriff2, 25 February 2012 - 07:06 PM.

AprilRain

AprilRain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello...

I'm sorry im not very pc literate so please bare with me...but I assuming that my wireless network password is now protected as someone had assisted to change the administration password for my linksys router.

This link here - http://sysnative.com...__jcgriff2_.exe - that jcgriff told me to download and past my text, well my mcafee virus protection went off and told me not to download due to it possibly damaging my hard drive. I did block the download but somehow my laptop picked up a trojan from it and it was removed so still I have no text to post sorry.

Still my connection starts to drop during the evening hours constantly and it's driving me insane. Sometimes I can go from 1-3 days without any interference and then it starts right back up again.

I asked someone about this problem at a store where they fix pc's and they stated that it's possible that I may need a new router being that I have had it for 5-6 yrs. But I notice all my lights on the router are still on. I just wanna make sure there arent any other problems before i go out and spend money that doesnt need to be spent.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Please download FarbarServiceScanner and run it on the computer with the issue.

Make sure the following options are checked:
Internet Services
Windows Firewall
System Restore
Security Center/Action Center
Windows Update

Press "Scan".
It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size

Click Go and post the result.