Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot delet file becuase its opened in another program (svchost.exe)

• Please log in to reply

m4LemonMango

m4LemonMango

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I'm trying to delete a file but it always give "th file is used by another program"and won't allow me to delet. I used an program called "lockhunter" (work similar to unlocker) that shows what program is currently running the file and it showed svchost. I tried to terminate svchost through lockhunter but it didn't work and I still cannot delete the file.

Can someone know whats wrong or been through similar situation help me shed some light on how to fix this situation? Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi m4 and :welcome:

It is not normally a good idea to terminate one of the svchost processes (there are usually several running) as that can, if you are able to terminate it, make Windows unstable and crash.

We really need some more information. Specifically, what is the filename of this file? What version of Windows are you using? Why are you trying to delete it?

m4LemonMango

m4LemonMango

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Digerati,
I'm a code develper and recently my svn tortoise porgram (what I use to update and commit file) stopped working properly. Everytime I try to update or commit any file in my inetpub folder, error appear saying failed because the folder is locked and its "read only". I'm trying to delete the whole inetpub file and just recheck out the folder. But I'm having trouble deleting it because its always opened by another program (svchost.exe). I'm using window 7 enterprise. I need help deleting my old "locked" inetpub file. Any help or thoughts on the situation will be greatly appreciated!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Try deleting it from Safe Mode. Or use MoveOnBoot to mark the file for deletion during the early stages of the next boot, before anything can get hooks in it.