Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Not wanting to Boot! (MissingBootManager)

• Please log in to reply

thisdamnlaptop

thisdamnlaptop

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey there, new to the forum, and very much in need of help here. I restarted by computer a couple days, only to come to a screen that prompts me to choose an operating from a list that has absolutely nothing on it. So instead, I go ahead through with the second option to diagnose the problem with Startup Repair (from a list of options that also include System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, Command Prompt, and Recovery Management) And after doing so, I get the following error message:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: -1
Problem Signature 05: ExternalMedia
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: MissingBootManager
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

What's happening? I have a lot if important info in this laptop, and it's be horrid for it all to go to waste. I even tried changing the harddrives inside the laptop to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Make and model number of laptop.
What OS, Vista or Windows 7?

Sounds like there are problems with the hard drive.

Does the hard drive show up if you boot to BIOS Setup?

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

You said you tried replacing the hard drive. What happened when you did that? Unless the hard drive had an operating system on it I would expect it to fail when you tried to boot it.

You can try accessing the original drive using a live Linux CD like Puppy.

Download the bootable Puppy Linux iso image. Get the latest version available, currently pup-431.iso. If you don't have a burning program that will burn .iso files get burncdcc, a small FAST no frills iso burning program or ImgBurn, another small, fast and simple burner.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you.

1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the .iso file you want to burn on cd/dvd ......in this case its puppy linux
3. Select the .iso file
4. Suggestion.... Check the option "Fix close"
5. Click on "Start"

Make sure in the BIOS Setup, the CD/DVD drive is the first boot device. Put the Puppy Linux CD in the drive, then reboot your computer. Puppy will boot and run totally in ram. After you get it running and you're at the Puppy Desktop, take the CD out and then you can use the burner software to save all your data to CD/DVD. You can also use it to backup your data to a external USB harddrive or Flash drive, just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with Puppy.

==========================

Quick guide for saving data from Puppy Linux:

After you get to puppy desktop, click on the drives icon. It looks like a flash drive, top row. It will list all the drives connected your computer.

Click on the Red icon for the drive you want to mount, perhaps a flash drive. Puppy will mount the drive. The drive icon turns green when its mounted.

Minimize the drives mounter window. You will need it again in a few minutes. Drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size, then drag the window to the right edge of the screen.

Now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive. It should already be green. You will see a list of all the folders on the main drive (Usually C:). Shrink that window to the narrowest you can. Drag that window to the left side of the screen. At this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop, Flash drive on the right and C: on the left. Go back to the folders on the C: drive. Click on the Documents and Settings folder, then your user name or all users. Find the folders that has your data then drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window.

Your options are to move, copy, ect. Select COPY. If its to big you will have to open the folder and drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full.

Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier. Unmount the Flash drive by clicking on the green icon. You will once in awhile get error messages when unmounting the drive, ignore them. When the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the flash drive.

Plug the Flash drive into the other computer then copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer. Make sure the other computer can read them.

Now delete the data on the flash drive, then take it back to the other computer and repeat until all data is copied.

Above taken from here: Help with Windows XP (Won't Start) on GeeksToGo.

Also, see this tutorial by theog on sevenforums.com for a neat trick to use to allow you to Copy & Paste from the Recovery Console to save files and folders.

thisdamnlaptop

thisdamnlaptop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
HP Pavillion dV5 Windows 7

thisdamnlaptop

thisdamnlaptop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So what you're saying is that this laptop is basically dead?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No, I said you need to do some testing.

Try what I suggested, answer my questions and let me know what happens.

thisdamnlaptop

thisdamnlaptop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
but how would I run those 2 tests on my laptop if I cannot boot it? Do i have to use a usb drive/cd to run them? Thanks by the way

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You follow the directions at the links provided to create bootable CDs then boot them to run the tests.

thisdamnlaptop

thisdamnlaptop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I dont understand how to burn the diagnostic files and iso files onto a cd. I downloaded the isowriter application, but when I right click on the iso files it doesn't show any option to burn the files

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You start the burner program you downloaded, then navigate to the .iso file and select it to use as input to create the CD.

For ImgBurn, you would chose Write image file to disc. Not sure about BurnDCC as I don't have it installed right now, but it should be similar.

Post back if you need step by step directions and I'll try to provide them.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'll just leave this here... :whistling:

http://www.geekstogo...-image-to-disc/