Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moving to anotehr HDD

• Please log in to reply

UriB

UriB

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I want to upgrade my HDD on my laptop to not a larger but a faster one. The present HDD is 750MB and the new one is 500MB but faster.
I want to move everything I have on the old drive to the new one so I don't have to re-install the op. sys. and applications. What do I do? Do I use software like Ghost (expensive) or is there any other solution that allows me to move everything so there will be no need for any new installs?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you clone a drive to a larger drive there are lots of free cloning software out there...I use HDclone
your problem is cloning to a smaller drive means your going to have to pay for one of the cloning software that will do this

if your on a budget I suggest a clean install of the OS and your programs

UriB

UriB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks for the answer.
I was afraid of that :rolleyes:
I guess I should bite the bullet and pay for Norton Ghost (as I figured it is one of the best). Re-installing everything would take me too long

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I personally had horrible luck using Norton Ghost...this was about 10 years ago...it was a cointoss when using it...
only worked about 50 % of the time and cloning takes lots of time...wasted hundreds of hours of my time and finally dropped it like a hot rock and never looked back
I don't remember the version number...it was part of norton system works about 2003
anther thing worthy of note...DO NOT use nortons go back...it was another time suck and acted like a virus trying to get rid of it

UriB

UriB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I really thank you for the input. I too have second thoughts about Ghost although the latest version (15.0), as I read, is supposed to be the best things since sliced bread. I found it for $13 so I am going to give it a try and I will keep you posted

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I found it for $13 so I am going to give it a try and I will keep you posted

please do... :thumbsup: