Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weekend gamer's first build built, but usb keyboard wont work

• Please log in to reply

jimbilly211

jimbilly211

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok I don't have much info other than power is to everything all looks good BUT when I turn on the computer the motherboard bios starts up saying "press DEL to start BIOS" and I cant get my keyboard to work. I have no clue what is happening. Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Jimbilly211,

Is this a problem with your new build from this topic? http://www.geekstogo...-stop-and-look/

jimbilly211

jimbilly211

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes it is Iammykyl, only real changes that I made to that was 8gb Vengance ram and the tower http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129066
the HDD http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148840 and the SSD http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820148448

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

In that case, it is advisable to continue with the original Topic as it saves helpers from asking questions when the information is already available.
The is also the possibility the post will be deemed as a duplicate.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts
Hi jimbilly211

Are you using a USB type keyboard - have you tried all of the MBs USB ports**
If you are try using the wired PS2 type until you have the system running, this will allow you to set up the USB ports etc.
If you do not have a wired type keyboard you can use a USB to PS2 adapter like the one in the .jpeg below;

FWIW iammyky is correct you would have been better to advise us of this issue at your other topic, no harm done though as the different topic title may lead others with the same or a similar problem here.

**Some MBs have a single USB port set to work by default in the BIOS - USB port 1 which would be top left hand corner as you look at the I/O plate at the rear of the case.

Thanks to iammyky for advising on the two related topics :thumbsup:

jimbilly211

jimbilly211

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Roger Phill I have tried that only good thing is that the PS2 keyboard lights actually lite up. Other than that everyport I cant get it to acknowledge the keyboards. A friend of mine says my mother board might be shot or my CPU. Rather hope this isn't the case.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts
Try removing the MBs CMOS battery (see .jpeg below) for a few minutes and then replace, no joy then follow the canned speech below, be sure to disconnect the power cord from the wall before removing the battery.

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try a new or replacement battery.

jimbilly211

jimbilly211

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
So found out that I didn't ground the MB correctly (I didn't know that there are spacers) fixed that problem your battery idea worked pretty good BIOS actually worked well every other time or so then windows boot up disc gets stuck now. Also got the update for the MB and downloaded it still doesnt work. Sending CPU and MB back SAT talked to tiger direct about it. Worst part is the wife is pissed I spent so much money and it still doesn't even work.
Also the CPU was running at about 51c is that a decent temp?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts
Sorry that the update is not better news :(
On a side note Windows not booting could have been caused by a bad optical drive or the disk itself, a bad MB or CPU would have rendered the system totally inoperable, did you purchase the W7 disk from TigerDirect or Newegg and have you tried it on another system?

Max temp for your CPU is 72.6C http://www.cpu-world...2300833803.html

Please keep us posted and I hope you have better luck with the replacement components.

jimbilly211

jimbilly211

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I tried 2 other optical drives and the 32 bit and 64 bit windows versions I had to include a friends copy of windows. None of that worked, it always froze on the same screen.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts
If you have any other way of doing it place your HDD in another computer or HDD enclosure and install W7 that way, this is a way of checking if the HDD is ok,

jimbilly211

jimbilly211

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I never even got the option to choose what HDD to install windows on it froze before windows could even boot up. Though installing windows from my wife's computer sounds like a great idea at least I can do that while I wait.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts
Yep it will save a bit of time later, couple of pointers for you though, do not allow access to the internet when you install W7 on the drive as you need to register the OS with your own MB not your wifes via Microsoft and do not forget to install the MB drivers from the supplied disk when you have finished your build.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

So found out that I didn't ground the MB correctly (I didn't know that there are spacers)

Is this what you are revering too.

A case most often comes with an I/O shield already installed. You must remove it and install the one that is supplied with the Motherboard. A ground (earth_ contact is made here when the Mobo is installed. This is the only permitted earth, (except through the wiring)

Stand-offs are screwed to the Motherboard mounting plate. The number installed must match exactly the pattern of screw holes in the Mobo, no extra ones as this may cuse a short to earth resulting in instability, failure to boot, permenant damage.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry Guys, left the room for for a bit, then just posted.