Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't turn on

• Please log in to reply

raptorjesus

raptorjesus

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Greetings i have an HP Pavilion dv2 laptop that recently i had to replace its the hard drive. In the time of waiting for the arrival of my new hard drive, i've kept the laptop off, now it won't turn on at all. i've tried charging it and removing the battery and holding the power switch down for a minute and neither have worked so far. i'm not sure what the problem is. i even tried booting it with the old hard drive out of desperation and still, wouldn't even so much as kick on. If anybody can provide any suggestions at all, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Are you sure the power pack is working? If the battery is dead and the power pack is not putting out anything then it won't turn on. You can check it with a Multimeter.

(make sure the A/C end is firmly seated in then power pack)

mbond65

mbond65

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
If you've removed the battery and just plugged in the AC adapter and it still won't boot, I would seek assistance from the manufacturer.

Have you tried another charger?

Is the laptop registering that it's receiving power ? ( as In charging LEDs)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Are you using the original Hp battery and AC adapter - does the AC adapter have a power LED on it and if so does it light up when power is applied?

If as mbond65 has said if the notebook is registering that it's receiving power ie the LEDs are illuminated try leaving the battery on charge for 24hrs without powering up the notebook at any time and see if that helps.