Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marke

• Please log in to reply

Milkisscrewed

Milkisscrewed

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a windows 7 os and recently had a computer crisis where all my files were being deleted, so I decided to use combofix to bring it to a sort of restore point. I've been getting this message now whenever I try to open a program or run an executable. Any advice would be helpful.

Advertisements

sugarloaf_c

sugarloaf_c

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i work in a computer store and i've used combo fix many times on hundreds of different computers. I've encountered this problem before and it has always been fixed by rebooting the machine. Even if Combo fix just rebooted and displayed a log on screen, you still might have to reboot again.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Milkisscrewed and sugarloaf_c ... :wave: ..:welcome:

recently had a computer crisis where all my files were being deleted

was it a piece of malware causing the file deletions

sugarloaf_c

sugarloaf_c

• Pip
  • 2 posts
in the last year or so i've worked on lots of computers where the files/folders had been set to 'hidden' (caused by malware). In just about all of those situations the customers came in saying that they believed everything had been deleted. You can check this by setting windows to show all hidden files and folders.

i use a free program called unhide.exe to correct this problem (it would be very time consuming to manually change the folders/files back, but that can be done too).

give the system a good scan with your favorite spyware/malware/virus program(s) in safe mode. Then you should be good to go.

*If everything really has been deleted i suggest going to a reputable computer fixit place. Ask about data recovery.

Hope this helps.