Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing folders

• Please log in to reply

sueh

sueh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, have recently noticed a folder missing , have tried our support but they cannot help, it was in microsoft excel, but now all i get when I try and search is shortcuts and asking if I want to delete them, any ideas gratefully received.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi sueh ... :wave: ..:welcome:

exactly how are you doing your search...
have you tried just searching for .xls or .xlsx

Cotutor

Cotutor

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
You say the folder was in MS Excel.... can you elaborate a little? How did you access the folder in the past?

sueh

sueh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, The folder was in microsoft excel, one of many that we keep certain types of records in, the rest are all still there just this particular one seems to have been wiped out of the comp. Have tried searching under .xls and .xlsx to no avail, all it will come up with when I search under the folders name is - this shortcut no longer exists. so now at a total loss as to where on earth it has gone. Have also tried searching the hard drive under the folder name but nothing.....

Cotutor

Cotutor

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
Ok, maybe someone renamed and relocated it by accident. This may seem crazy, but it's not all that hard to do.
First, check the obvious, make sure it's not in the recycle bin.
Next, open up windows explorer, go to my documents and just go thru each of the folders there to make sure the one you are looking for isn't there. You searched by name, but it's possible an extra character could have been put in the name.
If no luck that way, try to remember one of the files that was in this directory and do a search for the file name. This may turn up th elocation and you may find all of your files that way.
If this doesn't work, there is one more possible solution, use GetDataBack and run a recovery on the drive. Don't delay if this is something important, as everything you do on the drive reduces the chance of success.