Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleted recovery partition now can't boot OS

• Please log in to reply

robinshawn

robinshawn

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I accidentally removed the recovery partition and now wen I try to start my computer it won't boot. I have no recovery disks, F8 doesn't work & I'm stuck. I have files I absolutely need from this HD please help!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello robinshawn...

Give Puppy Linux a try. It runs in RAM and should allow you to recover your data. Puppy Linux Guide

wannabe1

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Haha my problem is the inability to get into windows 7 dude! I know once I'm able to get into the OS there's a million things I can do but getting into it....how can I do that? I have no recovery disks nada nothing. I'm flying blind & need some instructions pleez anyone?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Puppy Linux is an operating system that runs outside of Windows. The Puppy Linux Guide will show you how to make a disk from which to run it and how to recover your files. This option does not need Windows 7 to start...it runs independently in the RAM.

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Oh got it I'll try that.

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
It worked! Oh my god I love u wannabe1. Now if I can just lead me in figuring out how to find reboot files 2 boot into windows. I hav no installation disks :-( what happened is I deleted the recovery partion but I know I can put them into the C:/ HD if I just knew wat I'm looking for. Guidance pleez.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What happens when you try to start the machine? The recovery partition should have no bearing on whether the machine boots or not.

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Really cuz it just goes to the flashing cursor/black screen. It does start to boot I see the first windows screen but after that nothing. It's not c'ing the C:/ drive or watever it needs 2 continue booting up. Why is that? When I use puppy I can c the drive & it's fine. How do I get the machine 2 boot up from it?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you can get as far as the first Windows screen when it boots, then it is seeing the C: drive...and we need to be looking for other problems.

Have you tried starting the machine in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Command Prompt?

It's possible the file system is corrupt.

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ahhhh I'm starting 2 understand :-) I did some kind of test that told me I have a bad sector on the c:/ drive but hav no idea how to fix it. Haven't figured out how 2 connect 2 Internet thru puppy drat! Soooo...wat now wannabe?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
See if the machine will boot into Safe Mode with a Command Prompt. Access the Advanced Boot Options and use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" then press Enter.

If it will boot, you should be presented with a command session window. Type chkdsk /r c: and press Enter. Note the spaces in the command.

You'll probably be told the drive is in use and ask if you want to run the check on the next boot. Type Y and press Enter. Type exit and press Enter to close the command session. Restart the machine.

This should start a comprehensive disk check that will attempt to read and recover any data located in bad sectors. It will take a while (if it runs)...be patient...let it finish.

Let me know how this goes or if the machine will not boot to Safe Mode.

Bad sectors are never a good sign and may be indicative of the HDD failing.

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Can't get into safe mode :-(

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't suppose you have an old Windows XP installation disk laying around...do you?

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yes I do! But how does that help if I now am running windows 7?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The Windows XP installation disk will contain the Windows Recovery Console. We can use that to check the file system on the Windows 7 machine...might even be able to straighten things out. Recovery Console will provide us with a DOS-like environment where we can work via command line.