Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD as well as overheating

• Please log in to reply

ComputerKid

ComputerKid

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi, so I have an HP Pavillion dv7-1132nr laptop with freshly installed Windows 7. It works fine for a little while, but every so often it has given me a BSOD. Also, the computer tends to overheat. With CoreTemp, the system at idle is around 70 degrees, and just watching video's on youtube it is reaching upwards of 90 or 100 degrees. When it gets this hot, this is when the computer tends to start failing, and programs stop working, flash stops working, etc. So obviously it is all connected. I think the BSOD might have something to do with the Memory though. Not sure. Hence why I am seeking your advice. I tried attaching the dump files, but it's saying I don't have permission to view them. I'm not sure how to gain access to them... But any help is great. I'm gunna try taking out the memory modules 1 at a time and see if either one is causing the problem.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need to solve the overheating problem. Is this a new or older laptop? If older, have you tried cleaning out the air vents with a can of compressed air? You can also look into using a Laptop Cooling Pad. Is the fan running?

If it's new contact HP or whoever you purchased it from.

If none of that helps then you will have to disassemble the laptop and clean it thoroughly. While it's apart, remove the heat sink and then remove the old thermal past, cleaning both the CPU and heat sink contact areas completely then apply a new, thin layer of good thermal paste. This is not a simple process. You need to find a good writeup on how to disassemble your specific laptop or else take it to a shop and have them do it.

The Maintenance & Service Guide is here: Manuals for HP Pavilion dv7-1132nr Entertainment Notebook PC