Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

start up problems

• Please log in to reply

wam224

wam224

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Gateway laptop. The HDD recently crashed and I put a used HDD in it with windows 7 64bit installed. the computer previously had windows vista 32bit before the HDD crashed. when i put the new HDD in it wouldn't let me install drivers for my integrated graphics. I figured I needed to switch to Vista because i had the same problems on the last HDD when i tried to install Windows 7. I downloaded an ISO of windows vista and properly burnt it to a dvd. but it wouldn't load. so i partitioned my HDD and installed from the "sources" folder. it seemed to work okay at first, i left for a min and came back and it had failed somehow. the computer restarted and now it goes to boot manager and says,
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem: 1. insert your windows installation disc and restart computer. File: \boot\BCD, Status: 0xc000000f, Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I have no idea what is going on, the best i can tell is that it is trying to read from the wrong partition of the HDD. I don't have a recovery disc for the computer either.

The computer is a Gateway M-Series. The HDD that is installed is from a Toshiba Satellite. Any help at all would be mostly appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements