Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista upgrade diska nd toher general hardware question

• Please log in to reply

susan12

susan12

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

I got a question concerning upgrading to Vista. I am currently using Window xp pro. If I buy Window Vista prenium upgrade disk and use my xp disk as an upgrade path, am I still able to use my window xp pro disk on other computer or will the license be void?

Another question is that I am currently using Rosewill HDD controller for my 3 ide hdd. Will the HDD controller still work after I install vista or is the controller card be useless?

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Susan.

Vietnam Software Outsourcing

Edited by susan12, 15 August 2012 - 12:43 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome Susan,

First up Vista is an old operating system. If you are able, I would suggest upgrading to Windows 7.

In regards to your current XP license, it depends. If it is an OEM sticker attached to the computer, then the license is tied only to that one computer. You could still use it on that computer by setting up a dual boot. However, if it is a retail edition (i.e. you purchased a proper box with disc and manual etc) then you are able to use it on another computer, as long as it is only used on one computer at any one time.

For the Rosewill IDE controller, you will need to look up the model of it on the Rosewill website and see if there are drivers available for the OS that you want to use. If you need help, post up the model here and we can take a look with you.

Regards,

Troy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A good way to find out is Win 7 Update Advisor.
This will Tell you of any potential issues with either your hardware or software. It will also tell you about drivers available for your system for Win 7