Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows freezes a few minutes after start up

• Please log in to reply

oldmanriver

oldmanriver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this.

After I start up my laptop and and access my account my laptop will freeze but I can still move the mouse around only I cant open any programs or select any icons. Also a white haze appears over the windows start up bar at the bottom of my screen. Previously I would wait a 5-10 minutes and get a notice that said windows explorer is not responding. I am no longer getting this message. When I press ctrl+alt+del nothing wil happen then my screen goes black, 5 -10 minutes later I will get a message that says logon and security operations were unable to be displayed when ctrl+alt+del was pressed. .I have tried deleting background programs like antivirus(malwarebytes and sophos) and other programs my university requires me to access their wifi to see if my laptop would start up faster.Before I am able to do my laptop freezes. If I manage to get a program open before my computer freezes, a white haze will appear over the program.Eventually i will get a notice that says "This program has stopped responding". About 5-10 minutes after that all the icons on my desktop and also the window start bar at the bottom will disappear and only my desktop wallpaper will remain.

I have a dell with a model number of PP40L and an intel duo core processor.
Thanks for the help

Edited by oldmanriver, 19 August 2012 - 03:55 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Advanced startup options - Windows 7

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

This ia a good tutorial on using msconfig in Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows 7

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.

oldmanriver

oldmanriver

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry for the late reply. I was busy with some other things. I did what you told me do and ended up deleting two programs( Sophos Anti-antivirus and Cisco). Everything is now cleared up and my computer no longer freezes. But it is running a little slow. When I check to CPU usage it is rather sporadic jumping from about 3% to about 90% and everything inbetween. Is this something I should be concerned about? Thank you so much for helping me fix the original problem.I really appreciate it.

Edited by oldmanriver, 25 August 2012 - 01:55 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can follow the same procedure to see if any of your installed programs are causing the slow downs.