Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC to TV.....Audio through HDMI question

• Please log in to reply

Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well this forum was able to answer my previous question in a very timely manor and help me out a lot so I thought I would see if someone could help me out with another little issue that I am having.

I have my second PC hooked up to my TV via HDMI cable and the video part works fine....except for the fact that for some reason the display doesnt take up the whole TV screen, but that is not the question Im asking (unless someone knows a quick fix for that).

Anyway I am having issues getting the sound to come through my tv speakers with the HDMI cable hooked up. I went into the settings and it shows that it is working and when I hit the TEST button the tones play through the speakers on my TV fine but nothing I play online (youtube, netflix, etc.) will produce sound through the TV speakers. My browser settings aren't muted either because I can plug in my computer speakers and it plays through them fine. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well if someone knows of a cheap alternate way to connect my computers audio output to the TV to achieve sounds coming from the TV then let me know. Maybe a certain cable I need to buy to make this happen?

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
the display doesnt take up the whole screen because of the resolution set on your computer. (personal experience)

also, you need to change the default sound in settings to HDMI output.

One last thing i've noticed also, you can't have a video up and then connect the HDMI, it won't play the sound, you need to open the video while the hdmi is already on.

have you tried opening a downloaded video btw?

As for other wires, hdmi is the best but you can also use svideo or vga with audio.

Edited by Gabriel1, 11 September 2012 - 09:53 AM.